Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bank Angle/Angular Rate Sensor...  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Ottawa, Ontario
Bank Angle/Angular Rate Sensor...
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:37:36 PM »
Hi Folks;

Contemplating adding ABS Pro to my bike. If my bike has the bank/lean angle sensor already, its a simple software update. If my bike also needs the Angular Rate sensor as well, the price doubles. I thought I remember reading somewhere that all bikes made after a certain date had the sensor installed, but cant find that reference any more.

So, my question is: other than taking off all the body work and the fuel tank to look (which I do not want to do), does anyone know if there is a way to tell if the bike has the bank/lean angle sensor already installed?

Cheers;
Eric
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:41:32 PM by Racer944 »

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Bank Angle/Angular Rate Sensor...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:01:38 PM »
Obviously you don't have the "SE" version of the bike.?? The "Top Spec" bike is the only one available here in Aus unless you specifically order the lower spec one from the dealer.... and they can take quite a while to get here too, I've not seen one here in Aus though. :027:

I'm not sure if they're the same thing, but I'm sure they all have an "angle sensor" of some sort, this is the one which I believe cuts the ignition if/when the bike goes over in a fall or a low speed drop in a car park or similar, with the bikes these days being mostly fuel injected one would assume all modern bikes would have one. I guess one would assume the same thing would happen in a full speed off as well..!

Smithy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:03:47 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:39:20 PM »
Hi Smithy;

No, my bike is not the SE version. In Canada we have two versions (Touring and Dynamic packages) but one can also simply order off a checklist for what one wants. My bike in question was ordered by the dealer as stock with a basic spec (presumably to keep the price down). I am trying to add a few things to it that I want, and ABS Pro is one of the items I want that can easily be added through software, but it is double the price if the sensor is also needed and the labour to get to the sensor under the fuel tank is high... I am hoping my bike already has the sensor in question...

Cheers;
Eric

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 09:03:42 AM »
Is the bank angle sensor not needed for the traction control ?

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 12:58:46 PM »
Bazzer;

Good question, I don't know that one for sure, but I don't think so... I can tell you though that its definitely not the same sensor that is used to check for a dropped bike...

Eric

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »
Do you have the QS on the bike?

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 04:31:34 PM »
Hi Winger;

Yes I do have the Quick Shift on the bike...

Cheers;
Eric

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 04:37:24 PM »
My understanding is then you have the same software package as in the DTC etc as all the other bikes when I custom ordered my bike the ‘Dynamic Package’ which includes the QS and everything came complete.

The SE is wired differently because the ESA and the GPS and as we have had the same conversation about heated grips how much can be retro fitted your guess is as good as mine.

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 04:43:00 PM »
Yes, I wish it had the Dynamic Package but it does not. Quick Shifter was specified at the time of order, but not the Dynamic Package with the extra two rider modes... This bike is indeed a bit of an oddball the way it was ordered though (it does have Dynamic ESA for example).

I'm not finding much info online, so I guess I need to take it in to BMW and have them plug it in with hopes that it will spit out what the bike has exactly, and also what can be added/upgraded on it...

Eric

P.S. I have retrofitted heated grips and the GPS prep package with the multicontroller. I just need BMW to active the features in the software now...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 04:46:10 PM by Racer944 »

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 06:09:01 PM »
Fascinating!! If you go to BMW motorrad Uk and look at how you build what you want,it highlights the problem I had all I wanted was the QS and nothing else and the UK system doesn’t allow that if I wanted the QS then I had to order the Dynamic package and ended up with everything else that came with it.