Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 1000 miles in  (Read 3284 times)

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
1000 miles in
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:54:57 PM »
Had a day on the bike today, 340 miles, so we've now passed the 1000 mile mark.

A few observations.

There has been a lot of talk about vibes through the handlebars/ footpegs on this bike, on various forums. I hadn't experienced anything major, just a slight "tickle" at certain revs. These disappeared quickly, once I got a few miles on the clock. On Wednesday, I fitted some Wunderlich 25mm risers, and when I took the bike out, noticed some vibes between 4.5-5.5k rpm. Now, we're not talking jackhammer vibes, just a slight buzz. By the end of today, the vibes had either disappeared, or I've got used to them more; either way, they aren't an issue whatsoever.

As my other bike is a GSA, comfort is important to me. The stock XR is in no way comparable to the GS or GSA; the only slight similarity is the upright riding position. That's where the similarities end. However, with the bar risers, and lower pegs (HP rearsets), the riding position is more GS like, and much more comfortable if you're going to spend 8-10 hours on the bike.

The suspension is firm, even in the softest setting. I'd like a softer setting, but it's certainly no ball breaker on the rough stuff. I took it down some grass and gravel strewn roads today, and it was just fine.

Since the first service, and the unleashing of the full rev range, the bike is a real Jekyll & Hyde machine. A lot of people worry about ending up in jail, but you can ride this bike slowly all day long. It just encourages you to wring it's neck, and spank it's tits off!

What I will say, is if you are thinking of getting one of these, ignore any of the negative stuff you've read on forums, and take one out for a few hours (not half an hour), then decide. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, and I would probably still choose the GSA as an only bike over this (the gap is getting smaller :D), but good god is this one phenomenal machine.

Offline Welshman

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW HP2 Sport
  • Town: Bewdley
Re: 1000 miles in
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 02:49:16 PM »
Nice report. Mirrors how I feel about the bike. It's in for its 1st service tomorrow. I found out today that hitting the rev limiter in 6th = 118 mph!

Offline Bald Man

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Jaffray BC
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:25:54 PM »
I have 4800 km on mine now and love this bike. The vibration in the bars has disappeared. I get to leave my Ducati Multi buddies in the rear view mirror and they are hating it.

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 08:47:28 PM »
You said it!  Not everyone's cup of tea but one phenomenal machine!!  Never been upright with this kind of power and handling on any other bike I've owned.   :002: 
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline Welshman

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW HP2 Sport
  • Town: Bewdley
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 07:14:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Welshman [+]
.....I found out today that hitting the rev limiter in 6th = 118 mph!

Correction - it's 122 mph!

Offline Pubby

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Hertfordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 11:23:25 PM »
I've had mine for 3 weeks now and 1200 miles in and I can honestly say I have never ridden a bike quite like it. No problem with vibes or comfort spent 7 hours in the saddle last Saturday in Wales and had a hoot - Fantastic.

Used to have a GS Adventure LC great bike but that sucked the fun out of riding for me - each to their own!

dysfunctional