Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XR discontinued?  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
XR discontinued?
« on: April 07, 2018, 10:37:01 PM »
Heard it from a reputable source today, that the XR is being scrapped after this year.  He's very much in the know and is an honest guy so I believe him, though there is still a margin of error as with anything.  Also BMW can always change their mind. 

This came as something of a surprise as the bike sold well for a couple of years.  It appears that has changed.  The RS is on the chopping block too and the K1300 is gone so I'm thinking something new has to be coming out.  The F800GT is in need of a serious facelift so I'm wondering if the are going to throw the 1000 I-4 into a similar platform.  It is strange becuase the F800 and 700 GS's are being revamped with the new 900cc engine but the F800GT isn't.  Wouldn't you think all F models would get the upgrade?

So me thinks something is in the works here.  If it is true about the XR, and I think it is, that's a real quick in and out for a bike of its caliber.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:55:39 PM by Snatch »

Offline otrp

• XR Master
Re: XR disconinued?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 10:41:34 PM »
Discontinuing the S Series was an April fools joke in the April edition of BMW ON. Did your source get their info from that article?

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
Re: XR discontinued?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 10:56:56 PM »
No.  He said he heard it from certain key personnel.. But you never know. 

Offline S1000XR

• Forum Help & Support
  • XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 11:18:10 PM »
Sorry, but I can't stand these sort of rumours as they are absolutely meaningless without some sort of evidence.

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 11:22:02 PM »
I only know what I heard.  Not rumor mongering but interested if others have heard this as well. 
I don't much care either way aside from what it could do to trade to value. 

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 12:41:24 AM »
Definitely doesn’t sound good! Anyone know what the models sales numbers are? That will be a good indicator

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 01:08:23 AM »
Page 58 addresses the motorcycle segment. It's showing 2017 as having record sales but only mentions the K1600 and RnineT.  I does not give specifics as to individual bike sales.

https://www.bmwgroup.com/content/dam/bmw-group-websites/bmwgroup_com/ir/downloads/en/2018/Gesch%C3%A4ftsbericht/BMW-GB17_en_Finanzbericht_ONLINE.pdf

This article speaks about the GS and S lines doing well:

"The big sellers for BMW Motorrad are the GS line of adventure bikes and the sporty S Series. New smaller displacement models such as the G 310 R and G 310 GS are doing well not only in their target markets of Asia and South America but also in Europe where the little bikes are popular with new riders.

So, can BMW Motorrad continue the impressive sales streak in 2018 towards its goal of selling 200,000 motorcycles in 2020? “We expect to see further growth in sales for our vehicles in 2018, too,” says BMW Motorrad Head of Sales and Marketing Timo Resch in the release. “We are looking forward to the positive impulses generated by the launch of the completely new F models F 750 GS and F 850 GS as well as the much anticipated C 400 X midsize scooter. Expanding our urban mobility product range is a key topic for the future of BMW Motorrad.”

Who knows. Perhaps they're redesigning the XR. They certainly aren't hurting though.

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Spokane, WA.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 01:15:31 AM »
That could be true, who knows???!!!

Here in Southern California (as of a couple months ago, anyway), when speaking to a BMW motorcycle salesman, he said that his store has few deposits/ customers waiting for new 2018 XR's, and that there getting virtually full price/ no discounts.

On the flip side, if BMW does decide to ax the XR, I'd want/ like to think that there could be a "decent" cult following, various people who'd like one. IMO, many purchase the GS (even though they'll never take it off-road), because its an intelligent choice, safe bet, proven resale value, when in their "heart", they really may want the XR.
mike k

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 01:19:59 AM »
I see GS's every day around here. Our weather and roads are really bad though so it sort of makes sense, but as we all know maybe 30% go offroad. Aside from my XR I've only seen 2 since the bike hit the states. I've seen a veritable army of S1000RR's and a couple of dozen or so S1000Rs. Tons of RTs as well, but by far the GS is the most popular.

I know the dealer I got my XR from has heavily discounted them.

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Spokane, WA.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 02:07:50 AM »
Snatch - your right, there are LOTS OF GS's, even here in California. Also, to take it to a different level, there are even more Harleys, than anything else.

In short, I feel that the XR is "very much" a riding aficionado's motorcycle, who understands and appreciates great handling, comfort, and performance in one package. At BMWSD, the parts & service manager, and a salesman own XR's (they could own anything on the showroom floor, but they prefer the XR, which says a lot).

In closing, "most people" are sheep (hate to say it, but I've fallen into that category a time, or two myself) and purchase things based on various factors such as popularity/ acceptance/ trends, looks & color, and often don't care, appreciate/ understand suspension, handling, and performance, which "many" will never try to exploit, or use anyway. I strongly suspect that BMW and their marketing & focus groups understand this and have to do, what they have to do, which may mean axing the XR??? However, if they do, I bet there will be a good used market following for for the XR, only time will tell???? 
mike k

dysfunctional