Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low seat benefits?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Neale

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Barnsley
Low seat benefits?
« on: April 10, 2018, 04:22:05 AM »
My XR came with the HP high sport seat 855mm which looks awesome and is very comfortable. I ordered a low seat 820mm so I could get my heels down but its hardly made any difference  :157: There is so little padding in the low seat that it doesn't compress and the actual benefit in height is probably about 5mm for someone who weighs 13 stone. Its on its way back to the supplier for a refund. Not lowering the suspension as I think a thicker soled boot will solve the issue and be a lot cheaper. Just sharing my experience for anyone thinking of buying the low seat.  :305:

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Low seat benefits?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »
Strange one?

I bought a S/H low seat, and although it has slightly less padding - is all-day comfortable and I would say the main difference is:

It doesn't kick your hips out as far, so allows easier access to the tarmac. 

I got the impression that the HP seat was higher than 'standard', but perhaps it too - is sculpted more at the edges, a la low seat?

Offline Neale

• XR Junior
  • Town: Barnsley
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 12:30:51 PM »
You may be correct, the stock  low seat felt quite wide and dug into my thighs so I didn't really notice any difference compared to the high sport seat. Sounds like yours is narrower and maybe just what I need. Thanks

Offline Robgosty

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 05:32:55 PM »
I have the HP sport seat and it is sculpted differently at the front, I test rode a standard bike with standard seat  and it dug into my thighs when feet down, my pal just got a brand new factory lowered with low seat and it still dug into my thighs, HP seat is much more comfortable (for me anyway)   :305:

Offline Racer944

• XR Member
  • Town: Ottawa, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:45:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Strange one?

I bought a S/H low seat, and although it has slightly less padding - is all-day comfortable and I would say the main difference is:

It doesn't kick your hips out as far, so allows easier access to the tarmac. 

I got the impression that the HP seat was higher than 'standard', but perhaps it too - is sculpted more at the edges, a la low seat?

What is the S/H sport seat? I currently have a factory low seat, but have been considering the factory HP standard height seat as a comfort improvement, but I also don't want to get much higher than I am now...

Eric

Offline ampj8

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 09:20:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Racer944 [+]
What is the S/H sport seat? I currently have a factory low seat, but have been considering the factory HP standard height seat as a comfort improvement, but I also don't want to get much higher than I am now...

Eric

I have exactly the same need. On longer very longer days I start to suffer more than before so thinking the low version of the HP seat would help same or similar height but better padding.... any ideas? Or should I go to the normal HP one?

Offline Auldy

• XR Member
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 11:31:29 AM »
 Hi Guys
Being a bit vertically challenged and still having the stock seat what I did was remove the seat and flip it over.
I then removed all of the seat rubber bump stops and then the two large rubbers that locate the front of the seat near the fuel tank.
I then placed some gaff tape on the areas where the bump stops sit and the pins that the front rubbers mount on.
This will lower the seat further down and the seat does not rattle or move about when riding.

Give it a try if you wish, it will cost you nothing and you can revert it back in a few minutes if you don’t like it

Cheers
 :821:
Auldy

dysfunctional