Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: This bike is absolutely brilliant  (Read 2203 times)

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: CA
This bike is absolutely brilliant
« on: April 10, 2018, 11:07:12 PM »
I know this has been discussed before throughout the forum, and it will sound like a massive circle jerk, but I want to take a moment to really put it in perspective. I've ridden a lot of motorcycles, new and old, and I do a fair amount of riding - commuting, sport riding, racing, touring.

The XR is by far the best motorcycle I have ever ridden. In stock form it is excellent in all areas. I am truly impressed by BMW with creating this bike. The engine is so insanely good, it makes me giggle constantly. The suspension is just perfect always, despite taking away control and adjustability I usually love (even though I still don't know if ride modes and suspension modes are linked - is "road" suspension in "road" mode softer than "road" suspension in "dynamic" mode????). The brakes... oh the brakes, scary good.

Really nothing comes close to the all-aroundedness of this package. Where do we go from here???

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: This bike is absolutely brilliant
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:15:36 AM »
I think you're "preaching to the converted" Sir... :016:

But yes, you're quite right, it's a pretty good thing. :152:

The "Road" suspension setting is the same whether you're in Road or the Dynamic modes. A push of a button will change that though..!  :001:

I usually ride in "Road" mode when doing my usual daily commute to work on less than suitable roads, much more supple and "bump absorbing" than the dynamic suspension mode..... But if doing some spirited riding or scratching around my favorite roads...I plonk it in Dynamic and enjoy the ride..! I'm sure many others do the same..!

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Dicey

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Mintlaw
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 12:49:45 AM »
Totally agree fantastic all round bike, I also think that when in dynamic mode, road suspension definitely feels stiffer than it does when in road mode,have to read manual and check up on that.

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:34:42 AM »
Totally agree with out doubt the best all round bike I've ever owned. Tend to ride mine in Dynamic engine mode and Road suspension mode as I come from an long time racing off road I actually prefer the rear a bit softer even when pushing really hard.
Just off out leading a group on a 180 mile rideout in rain n mist Urgh.😁

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:13:46 AM »
I'm sold as well. Was chatting to the group about it on a ride out in Wales last weekend and concluded that if anything happened to my XR I'd just go straight out and buy another one.

It's the only bike I've ever had that does it all. Tour it, track it, thrash it all the while in supreme comfort with a bloody great smile on my face. Had a couple of years now and the engine, suspension and brakes still amaze me.

My general modes of choice are Road on suspension and Dynamic on engine. Never get tired of the popping on over run.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:16:00 AM by Harry H »

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 11:52:26 AM »
Funny how we all like various settings. I normally ride in Road on Engine and Dynamic on suspension, I prefer it a bit stiffer ( No Comments Please  :001: ).  :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 12:37:49 PM »
Spend the majority of my time in dynamic/dynamic with dynamic pro selected on the really fun roads sea setting of rider + bags. Unless on gravel then it’s esa solo road / rain kinda my version of enduro mode
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:39:53 PM by Karlb »
2016 Red Sled

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Funny how we all like various settings. I normally ride in Road on Engine and Dynamic on suspension, I prefer it a bit stiffer ( No Comments Please  :001: ).  :305:

Said the actress to the bishop 😁😁

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 05:58:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by forestboy [+]

Said the actress to the bishop 😁😁

:001: :001: :001:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Cuban Rider

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Texas, USA
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 06:39:35 PM »
Agreed. There's other bikes I want for a specific type of riding, but when it comes to a do-it-all bike, the XR outshines the competition.

dysfunctional