Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changing suspension modes  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Robgosty

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Changing suspension modes
« on: April 20, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »
"While touring with the wife I'm mainly in Road engine mode and when I encounter rough roads I switch to Rain engine mode. Also if I have to maneuver in parking lots or tight spaces I go for rain mode with a single passenger preload level. This really drops the bike so I can flat foot it. I used this while getting on and off a ferry I took this past weekend. Remember, this is when I tour with the wife with a loaded bike. Finally, while riding by myself I am generally in Dynamic engine mode with a single person setting on preload. If I want to do some acceleration wheelies I go for Dynamic Pro mode."

Read the above on another website. It says "Also if I have to maneuver in parking lots or tight spaces I go for rain mode with a single passenger preload level. This really drops the bike so I can flat foot it."

Is this right as does not seem to drop my bike, or i am i reading it wrong?  :187:

Offline otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
Re: Changing suspension modes
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 02:49:33 PM »
Just read the post. It seems he has a passenger with the suspension set in one up, no luggage, engine mode set to rain. Depending how far he is from flat footing as a solo rider, the extra weight, when carrying his passenger and load with these settings, may get his feet down. Yes, it looks like you read the post correctly.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:04:09 PM by otrp »

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 04:18:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Robgosty [+]
Read the above on another website. It says "Also if I have to maneuver in parking lots or tight spaces I go for rain mode with a single passenger preload level. This really drops the bike so I can flat foot it."

Is this right as does not seem to drop my bike, or i am i reading it wrong?  :187:

I've never felt my XR drop with different suspension settings.  Not noticeably.   :110:

*Originally Posted by otrp [+]
Depending how far he is from flat footing as a solo rider, the extra weight, when carrying his passenger and load with these settings, may get his feet down.

Some passengers will lower the suspension.  Others will really lower the suspension.  :016:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
Some passengers will lower the suspension.  Others will really lower the suspension.  :016:
[/quote]

:008:  :008:  :008:

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 12:34:31 PM »
You can change the preload with the solo, pillion and pillion and luggage settings, this will change the ride height.

It does take ages and I think you need the engine stopped to do it (can't 100% remember)

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
It does take ages and I think you need the engine stopped to do it (can't 100% remember)

Correctly remembered.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Watshot

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 05:04:30 PM »
The engine has to be running to set the ESA preload, but you have to be stationary. Damping you can change whilst riding. :028:

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 09:13:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Watshot [+]
The engine has to be running to set the ESA preload, but you have to be stationary. Damping you can change whilst riding. :028:

What he said..!  :028:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 01:06:20 AM »
more preload means less sag so I guess the author of that copied post was riding with a passenger plus luggage. When I up the pre-load I feel it's a little taller so it makes sense only relative to the preload you're riding around in..
I like that fact I got to justifiably work the word load into a post twice  :001:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:08:40 AM by Snatch »

Online serge1966

• XR Pro
  • It's all good...
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 02:28:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Snatch [+]
more preload means less sag so I guess the author of that copied post was riding with a passenger plus luggage. When I up the pre-load I feel it's a little taller so it makes sense only relative to the preload you're riding around in..
I like that fact I got to justifiably work the word load into a post twice  :001:

Three times...?
Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...