Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: High Speed Wobble?  (Read 6004 times)

Offline wilbert

• XR Member
  • Town: Lancashire
Re: High Speed Wobble?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 08:51:29 AM »
Only just picked up my bike but at 100mph it feels like the front wheel is out of balance. No wobble but something isn't as it should be. Need to put more miles on it until I am fully used to the bike and I will get everything checked at the 600 mile service.

Offline RedbirdXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR/GSXR1000
  • Town: san ramon,CA USA
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 12:31:16 AM »
Wilbert, it is likely you are feeling what I was and at the same speeds. It was not a real wobble, but the front end gets a hair lighter and it feels like the bars vibrate left to right just a tiny bit. 

Not that I would be suggesting it, but when I pushed through to higher speeds that feeling it re-stabilized. 

I have found that I get that feeling mostly in straight lines on the highway.  I don't really get that feeling when I'm not in as open a riding environment  :015:  I'm thinking it may have to do with what someone suggested was the aerodynamics of the bike. 

Offline tor

• XR Member
  • Norwegian Viking
  • Bike: 18 XR / 15 GSA
  • Town: Pee Dee of SC
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2018, 12:36:02 AM »
2018 standard suspension. No issues at all.

Offline wilbert

• XR Member
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2018, 08:11:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by RedbirdXR [+]
Wilbert, it is likely you are feeling what I was and at the same speeds. It was not a real wobble, but the front end gets a hair lighter and it feels like the bars vibrate left to right just a tiny bit. 

Not that I would be suggesting it, but when I pushed through to higher speeds that feeling it re-stabilized. 

I have found that I get that feeling mostly in straight lines on the highway.  I don't really get that feeling when I'm not in as open a riding environment  :015:  I'm thinking it may have to do with what someone suggested was the aerodynamics of the bike.

No its a very defined heavy vibration. The bike shakes like the wheel is out of balance or the wheel isn't round. The screen and instrument cluster shake like crazy too. It does it at exactly 100 and doesn't get any better right up to the 9k rev limiter (122) which gets taken off on Tuesday on first service.

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »
Could be a few things. I would start with getting them to check the front tyre / balance etc. It is not normal on these bikes, mine is as smooth
as it should be well past the ton mark. Even with panniers fitted it is ok.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline wilbert

• XR Member
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »
I've told them it needs investigating and wheel balance will be the first thing they do on Tuesday. I have had a feel for any play in headstock and can't find any. The only problem is that the "fault" only shows up at high speed and the dealer won't / can't test it like that as they don't have access to my private track. The fireblade I had before the XR was super smooth even flat out in 6th where the XR feels like i'm riding over cobbles at speed.

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2018, 08:51:16 AM »
I had exactly what you describe when my front wheel was out of balance. I have an after market TPMS system inside the wheel and it had loosened and the sensor had rotated round a bit an put the wheel out of balance.

It felt like the Nav would be shaken from the bracket about about 90mph.

Offline caister

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Tadley (Hants)
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]
No its a very defined heavy vibration. The bike shakes like the wheel is out of balance or the wheel isn't round. The screen and instrument cluster shake like crazy too. It does it at exactly 100 and doesn't get any better right up to the 9k rev limiter (122) which gets taken off on Tuesday on first service.

What suspension mode are you in and how do you have the damper setup? Mine does this when its set to rider plus luggage and I'm not carrying enough weight. The ESA gets itself into a bit of a muddle at speed when the road isn't smooth and appears to exaggerate the bumps. If I put it into rider only then it is super smooth.

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
If you are in rider and luggage or two up mode you will be increasing the rear ride height if you don't have any extra weight on it. This will speed up steering and possibly make it a bit more nervous.

I have been riding like this a bit recently to speed up turn in a bit (just until I get chance to try pulling the forks through the yokes a bit as others have done)

Offline wilbert

• XR Member
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
I took the bike in to the dealers for its 600 mile service. To say they were useless was an understatement. So I took it upon myself to find the cause of the problem which has been present since day 1. Took it to my local bike mechanic and had him test the wheel to see if it was ballanced or not as I suspected. It was a bloody mile out of ballance. It was better when he took off the weight from the factory which was in the wrong place and the wrong size. Problem fixed in 10 mins and it's much nicer to ride. BMW wanted the bike for half a day to do this. I'm still in shock paying £173 for an oil and filter change and them fitting the dongle under the seat.

dysfunctional