Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Riding Style  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Penpals

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR
  • Town: Bruton
Riding Style
« on: April 27, 2018, 06:56:18 PM »
Picking up my bike Thursday next week so getting pretty excited!
I do have a question about riding style as have always ridden sports bike and tend to hang off going round corners. Have a suspicion this is probably a bit over the top given the higher sitting position and bars on the XR. I imagine it's something I'll adapt to with time. Any advice appreciated.
Am doing a track day in two weeks time so either way will find out how the XR performs going round corners!

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Riding Style
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 08:06:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Penpals [+]
I do have a question about riding style as have always ridden sports bike and tend to hang off going round corners. Have a suspicion this is probably a bit over the top given the higher sitting position and bars on the XR. I imagine it's something I'll adapt to with time. Any advice appreciated.
Am doing a track day in two weeks time so either way will find out how the XR performs going round corners!

Although I do not ride a sports bike on the road anymore, I do lots of Track days with a zx10r. For me the Riding style is very different The XR turns in extremely well without hanging off. I was watching an XR at Snetterton two weeks ago and the guy was getting around okay. No hanging off and seemed to be getting around the corners okay. I suppose it will be a bit of trial and error. But on a personal point I have always found the XR a brilliant bike and never ceases to amaze me. :305: :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 08:20:52 PM »

Saw a vid a while ago where an experienced bike racer took the RR and then the XR round the same circuit, and there was only one second difference between the lap times, so that may help answer your question. Enjoy !!  :001: :001: :001:

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 08:23:22 PM »
Surely it is nothing to do with ‘turning in’?

Centre Of Gravity is still a dominant element in cornering - and should be as low as possible for best results.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 08:51:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Surely it is nothing to do with ‘turning in’?

Centre Of Gravity is still a dominant element in cornering - and should be as low as possible for best results.

Yep thats correct low centre of gravity better for cornering speed. Thats a basic way to look at it as its far more scientific than that. But my comment clearly says that the XR Turns in well even in a more upright riding position. And my answer is in response to his question about the cornering ability of the XR. And yes it does have lots to do with Turning in ( Or counter steering ) Etc.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:35:53 PM by Bree »

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 01:03:54 AM »

Penpal it's no secret I detest the ADV riding posture. I'm a sport bike, sport tourer type and this is my first sport adv, though I've had real off road bikes where I was okay with the posture. I do not like this position on the street or in the corners. I feel completely out of place as the feel in a turn is much different. That being said the XR is very competent and I trust it more and more each time I'm out (Bree I meant out on the bike not of the closet  :001: ).  Anyhoo if you like sport bikes this takes some getting used to. The bikes more flops in than tips in but it is relatively stable for its geometry.

YOu don't hang off this bike because of the handle bar leverage (really high wide bars) and the height which allows it to lean easily. My issue is hanging off is actually better for traction  because as we all know when you pull the weight off center to steer the bike with the weight shift, the lean does not have to be as profound to  make the same turn. With the XR its all lean and no shift of weight off center.   I feel myself "over leaning" allot for the same turn I made numerous times in the past without as deep a lean angle. It gives you sort of a false sense of handling ability as it turns easily but traction is compromised. Case in point my tires when new showed wear to the edges quicker then I've ever experienced and I didn't even feel like I pushed it.

What I've done to counter some of the ADV'ness was get more narrow R1200R bars, which fit perfect, and lowered the height a half inch front and back and reworked the rear shock. I also threw a little more rearset HP pegs on. It's better but not what I like. I do find it handles much better though.

I still hang off a bit on the bike but not nearly as much as I ordinarily would. It seems to upset the bike bit.
Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:06:44 AM by Snatch »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 07:46:55 AM »

My background is off-road and been to more than my fair share of SuperMoto races and there’s still a split in style for corners both knee out or classic offroad stance google FIM Supermoto for the options  :002:

Offline Gaz3014

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Northants
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 08:23:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by philbuck [+]
Saw a vid a while ago where an experienced bike racer took the RR and then the XR round the same circuit, and there was only one second difference between the lap times, so that may help answer your question. Enjoy !!  :001: :001: :001:

Was going to make exactly the same reference..........although it’s a different riding position; bike is still an animal! 👍
CARPE DIEM

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 08:28:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Snatch [+]
Penpal it's no secret I detest the ADV riding posture. I'm a sport bike, sport tourer type and this is my first sport adv, though I've had real off road bikes where I was okay with the posture. I do not like this position on the street or in the corners. I feel completely out of place as the feel in a turn is much different. That being said the XR is very competent and I trust it more and more each time I'm out (Bree I meant out on the bike not of the closet  :001: ).  Anyhoo if you like sport bikes this takes some getting used to. The bikes more flops in than tips in but it is relatively stable for its geometry.

YOu don't hang off this bike because of the handle bar leverage (really high wide bars) and the height which allows it to lean easily. My issue is hanging off is actually better for traction  because as we all know when you pull the weight off center to steer the bike with the weight shift, the lean does not have to be as profound to  make the same turn. With the XR its all lean and no shift of weight off center.   I feel myself "over leaning" allot for the same turn I made numerous times in the past without as deep a lean angle. It gives you sort of a false sense of handling ability as it turns easily but traction is compromised. Case in point my tires when new showed wear to the edges quicker then I've ever experienced and I didn't even feel like I pushed it.

What I've done to counter some of the ADV'ness was get more narrow R1200R bars, which fit perfect, and lowered the height a half inch front and back and reworked the rear shock. I also threw a little more rearset HP pegs on. It's better but not what I like. I do find it handles much better though.

I still hang off a bit on the bike but not nearly as much as I ordinarily would. It seems to upset the bike bit.
Hope that helps.

Can we now have a story about your coming out Pleeeese,

Offline Snatch

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR whi
  • Town: NY Metro
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
https://www.s1000xr.uk/Smileys/light/001.gif

Can we now have a story about your coming out Pleeeese,
wishful thinking my fishnet loving friend  :001:

dysfunctional