Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Touring in Spain & Portugal  (Read 4799 times)

Offline zx9landie

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Camberley
Touring in Spain & Portugal
« on: April 29, 2018, 09:47:53 AM »
Hi all,
I'm off to Spain & Portugal on May 15th. Anyone know if there are any country specific requirements for either country (like breather testers in France) please ??
As always, any comments or advice gratefully received.
cheers

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Touring in Spain & Portugal
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:00:13 AM »
I can’t think of any - but make sure that you have GOOD travel insurance (which does not exclude riding bikes of over 125cc - where the bike travel forms a fundemental part of the holiday)

Also - check if there is a requirement to “wear motorbike-specific clothing”. In the policy.   Doesn’t have to be CE, but made specifically for bike use.

(There is a facebook group - “UK Bikers Touring in Europe” which can be useful - if you can trawl through all the crap.)

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 10:09:54 AM »
Spain and Portugal.  What you need to have with you.   Full Driving Licence, Proof of insurance, Proof of Identity, V5C Document.
Also carry a Reflective Jacket. You do not require a Breakdown Triangle. But Motorcycles should always have your lights on, so carry a couple of spare bulbs. Apart from that I have always found the Authority's in both Spain  & Portugal to be fairly laid back.  Have a great trip and give us your feed back on return, with some pictures.

And I would also back up Mareng1  on Travel insurance Really check the small print and double check that you are covered for bikes abroad.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:13:34 AM by Bree »
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 10:29:35 AM »
You can’t use an intercom in Spain, at least not bike to bike. I’m not sure if this applies to rider pillion.

If you wear glasses for riding you have to carry a spare pair.

Check Holidaysafe for travel insurance, they do a specific motorcycle policy

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »
About the use of Bike To Bike Intercoms. I will try to find a link for you that clears this item up. You can use an intercom Bike to Bike or Rider to pillion but it should not be a Headset IE (covers the ear) if it is a built in speaker in the Helmet then it is okay to use.
I can confirm that Our group of riders were stopped in a road side check in Northern Spain Last year. We were all using Intercoms and the Police did not even mention anything about them, so I would not be to concerned. But it was worth mentioning, plus very good advice about the glasses.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:56:18 AM by Bree »

Offline zx9landie

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Camberley
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 11:00:19 AM »
thats to all
thanks Bree, would appreciate anything u cld
i got a pull for crossing a solid white line last year in northern spain (we had wandered across the 'border' as we were meant to be in france !!). i got a telling off rather than a 100 euro fine as my UK licence seemed to through them. The also told us off for ear plugs but didnt mention the comms units on the side of our lids.
cheers

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 11:06:16 AM »
Myself and my buddies were stopped for using Collett bike to bike intercoms and we were given a ticking off for using them - no fine though. They checked we had all the paperwork for us and the bikes, they even knew about the UK MOT!

As usual in Spain, the law is applied as the officer sees fit.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 11:08:30 AM »
Yes thats the very strange thing about the coms law. On a bike you cannot cover or block the ear as the reason they mentioned your Ear Plugs. Very weird .

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 11:20:38 AM »
A quick Google seems to imply that in-ear speakers are not allowed or headphones that cover the ear.  So in theory speakers behind the lining of a helmet should be ok??

http://www.bneuropeantours.com/advice/
French document

http://invictamoto.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/spain-bluetooth-headsets.html?m=1
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:25:32 AM by JTL »

Offline desertspotter

• XR Junior
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 11:56:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Spain and Portugal.  What you need to have with you.   Full Driving Licence, Proof of insurance, Proof of Identity, V5C Document.
Also carry a Reflective Jacket. You do not require a Breakdown Triangle. But Motorcycles should always have your lights on, so carry a couple of spare bulbs. Apart from that I have always found the Authority's in both Spain  & Portugal to be fairly laid back.  Have a great trip and give us your feed back on return, with some pictures.

And I would also back up Mareng1  on Travel insurance Really check the small print and double check that you are covered for bikes abroad.

Reflective jacket is not mandatory for motorcycles neither spare bulbs (nor for autos since a few years ago). You should have your lights on but in case that you have DRLs is ok to drive only with them. Reflective jacket is mandatory for France, so maybe you will need it in any case.

Regarding intercom or ears plugs, it's illegal to drive with them but the police most of the time don't say anything about intercom if you are not manipulating it while driving. Really it's not illegal but also not approved, I know about some resolutions from Spanish judges stating that as intercom is a kind of hands free device, that it's not blocking your ears and you can hear other thins it's not included in the prohibition, most police agents, as I said, don't say anything about that, and in case of any fine you can appeal, but I think that for foreign drivers could be a nightmare.

In Portugal, some motorways don't have toll booths and you have to register your plate and credit card in advance so them can collect the fees automatically, also a prepaid and temporary "via verde" pass is available. In this case check http://www.portugaltolls.com and choose your preferred payment method.

Assuming you are EU resident and your motorcycle plate is from any EU country you only have required to bring your national ID, national driving license, vehicle registration and technical inspection card and proof of insurance.

About police enforcement, in the last times there is a hard speeding enforcement, at least in Spain. Static Speed cameras should be always indicated, but for temporary or mobile speed cameras they only have to signal a section of the road, and usually the length of the section is a dozens of km. They announces this sections in the road panels or with a small signal below speed limitation with a signal like this (in this case, possibility of speed camera in the next 16.9km)

Also, filtering it's illegal as general rule in the road but in most cases allowed by police if the cars are totally stopped. In some cities like Madrid or Barcelona, inside the city, it's legal by local regulations. Be aware that driving in the shoulder is forbidden and it's really enforced, so in case of filtering, do it at low speed, without invading the other lane and not driving in the shoulder. In big cities you will see for sure some people driving in the shoulder, but be aware that if the police see you, you will have a 200€ souvenir from the police.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:09:27 PM by desertspotter »