Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Handlebar Position and Spec  (Read 1558 times)

Offline r15suk

• XR Member
  • Town: Reading
Handlebar Position and Spec
« on: April 29, 2018, 08:07:27 PM »
I recently had the mounting rubbers changed and the bars are now slightly lower that they were when it went to the shop. The switch unit very nearly touches the tank on full lock.
Does anyone know the torque spec and tightening sequence for the 4 bolts holding them to the top yolk as i'd like to move them up a bit.

Cheers
Simon

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
Re: Handlebar Position and Spec
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 09:39:12 PM »
Tighten the front clamp bolts first, then the rear, so the gap is at the back of the clamp, and tighten them to 19 Nm
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline Watshot

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 10:46:02 PM »
If you look carefully, there are alignment marks on the bars, so no real need to make a load of your own marks when you re-set it. Shame the dealer didn’t know that, or couldn’t be bothered.  :084:

Offline Jonnyboy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 XR
  • Town: SunnyScunny
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 11:11:21 AM »
On this subject, I have recently pushed my 'bars forward as i found the riding position a little cramped (I like to lean forward a little while riding). The problem now is the levers have rotated round and it makes it a slightly uncomfortable angle to grab the brake and clutch. My question is are the switch gear and levers pegged into position or can they be rotated back to a comfortable position.
TIA
Jon P
Just because my path is different, it doesn't  mean I'm lost.

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:54:48 AM »
They are fixed.
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline r15suk

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 08:55:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]
They are fixed.

Is that both the switch gear and the lever clamps that are pegged?

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 09:28:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by r15suk [+]
Is that both the switch gear and the lever clamps that are pegged?

Levers can be rotated....when I first got my bike I rotated my front brake lever forward/down slightly as it wasn't the same as the clutch and the mirror was leaning back a bit, not much but enough to be annoying.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline r15suk

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 10:17:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Watshot [+]
If you look carefully, there are alignment marks on the bars, so no real need to make a load of your own marks when you re-set it. Shame the dealer didn’t know that, or couldn’t be bothered.  :084:

Whereabouts are they? I had a quick look and couldn't see them  :187:

Simon

Offline Watshot

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 12:25:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by r15suk [+]
Whereabouts are they? I had a quick look and couldn't see them  :187:

Simon

If you look at the bars from the direction of the tank/rider where the gap in the clamps is; there is a ‘T’ mark on it’s side. There is one on both sides, white in colour, so it can be difficult to pick out on the silver bar. It lines up with the inside edge of each clamp, thus indicating a central position.

The ‘spine’ of the ‘T’ lines up with the clamp edge, thereby showing the rotation is in the factory position. You may need a torch to be able to pick them out clearly whilst everything is assembled. Of course, in your case, if the bars weren’t aligned correctly to these marks, they may be trickier to find, but easy enough when the clamps are off.  :028:

Offline r15suk

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 09:00:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Watshot [+]
If you look at the bars from the direction of the tank/rider where the gap in the clamps is; there is a ‘T’ mark on it’s side. There is one on both sides, white in colour, so it can be difficult to pick out on the silver bar. It lines up with the inside edge of each clamp, thus indicating a central position.

The ‘spine’ of the ‘T’ lines up with the clamp edge, thereby showing the rotation is in the factory position. You may need a torch to be able to pick them out clearly whilst everything is assembled. Of course, in your case, if the bars weren’t aligned correctly to these marks, they may be trickier to find, but easy enough when the clamps are off.  :028:

Many thanks, i'll have a look when i wip the clamps off to move them up  :062: