Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rukka - Made in China !  (Read 2780 times)

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Rukka - Made in China !
« on: May 02, 2018, 04:11:31 PM »
 :005:

I had been agonising for years over justifying to myself the benefits v costs of buying a Rukka suit. I read the marketing emphasising the quality and how the stuff was made in Scandinavia where they understand clothing of this type.

I went to the Motorcycle Live show in the NEC last year and after some negotiation parted with £1,700 for a Navala jacket and trousers secure in the belief that I was buying quality.

Imagine my horror when looking at the inside of the suit to discover a label saying that it was made in China. I didn't read that in any of the marketing stuff or I would not have purchased it. So thats a lot of money to pay for a suit produced cheaply in China.

I came across another motorcyclist last week who had a Navala suit. He was not impressed and said that he has sent his back as the stitching had come undone on the trousers and that the suit was not waterproof. :087:

I expected better from Rukka - dont know why. Must be run by accountants.
PSH

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Rukka - Made in China !
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:59:22 PM »
 :460:  Another great posting, giving good honest information. Like you I have on more than one occasion found top quality European Clothing. With a big price label being made in China or Taiwan. It is disappointing but that seems to be the future. 
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:18:41 PM »
Don't think it really matters where it's made as long as it's to the same quality control.

Good thing about Rukka is the 5 yr guarantee. Wear it for 4 years, send it back to them saying it's leaking and they send you a new one, rinse and repeat.

I've been wearing Rukka for 15 years :164:

Offline Martyn B

• XR Pro
  • Sultan of Bling
  • Bike: S1000XR SE 2018
  • Town: Melksham, Wilts
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 05:54:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
Don't think it really matters where it's made as long as it's to the same quality control.

:0461:

Trouble is, it rarely is...
What a long strange trip it's been...

Offline forestboy

• XR Pro
  • Forest of Dean
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 06:06:17 PM »
Always fancied some Rukka kit but just too expensive for me.
 Did eventually buy some Rukka pants 2 years ago from Fowlers during one of their one day special sales got them for half price £260.00. They've been ok at best certainly nothing special although still waterproof, the biggest problem has been the zips, which are bloody shite and have been since day one and no amount of cleaning or lube keeps them working. Stitching has come adrift in a few places but luckily my wife has the skill and machine to keep it going. Won't buy a Rukka jacket as the cut doesn't fit me and don't like the sleeves and very glad I didn't pay full price for the pants.
My Revit gear is far superior and a fraction of the cost.

Also have a friend who wears Rukka full kit, he had a 30mph spill a few weeks ago and the trouser leg shredded on the road, not good.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:08:50 PM by forestboy »

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 06:11:15 PM »
How many people here have iPhones, iPads or other branded electronic devices.....? Where are they made I wonder!  :001:

Made me curious. I am very happy with my Chinese Rukka jacket, my Chinese RevIt jacket, my Fijian (!) Draggin’ jeans, my Bulgarian Dainese trousers and my Chinese Lindstrom gloves!

PS all businesses are driven by financial considerations, and are therefore to some extent run by accountants.

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Becksy [+]
How many people here have iPhones, iPads or other branded electronic devices.....? Where are they made I wonder!  :001:

Made me curious. I am very happy with my Chinese Rukka jacket, my Chinese RevIt jacket, my Fijian (!) Draggin’ jeans, my Bulgarian Dainese trousers and my Chinese Lindstrom gloves!

PS all businesses are driven by financial considerations, and are therefore to some extent run by accountants.

Yep. I guess that is what we must expect. Pity they dont say where its made before you buy it - I try to avoid Chinese stuff but its difficult.  :182:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 07:43:51 PM »
I bet that crap hugger you sold me was made in China  :002: just like a good portion of our X/R’s

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 08:34:39 PM »
It's not surprising really. It really is a global market and you'll struggle to find many global brand products manufactured where you perceive that they are made.
If it works then what's the problem?
Someone will tell us next that BMW don't make all of their bikes/engines in Germany.

I'm looking at buying a new Rukka 2 piece, having had my current set for 11 years. It's survived one off with a minor tear to the shoulder (repaired) and it's still waterproof to this day. All crashes are different too, so you can't really say that "my mate came off at less than 30mph and it tore the leg out" and expect it to be the same for everyone.
In the same time I have had plenty of other cheaper kit not up to the job, including a Hein Gerricke 2 piece that never kept me dry from the day I bought it..
You pay for the warranty and reputation.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:36:42 PM by Nelster »

Offline Spooch

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: GRANTHAM
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 10:10:11 PM »
Huge Triumph just outside Bangkok, not as English as one would hope.
If your not going to thrash it leave it in the garage !!