Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Overheating  (Read 939 times)

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr Sport SE
  • Town: Dudley
Overheating
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »
Well a few warm days and I noticed some spattering of dried out coolant around the rad pipes and water pump. Looks like it coming out of the coolant tank cap. Anyone else had this issue?

Offline Arbourtek

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Nr Cirencester
Re: Overheating
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 01:28:53 PM »
I've not had the XR long, so cant comment on it being a common issue. I have delt with liquid cooled engines (cars) for many years though, and in the first instance if the engine is not overheating (see temp gauge) or building  pressure( feel hoses) I would replace the radiator cap as a precaution. Be wary that if the engine has lost some coolant the air that has now replaced it will expand much more than the coolant would, so its best to check level and top up when cold.
write something smart here..............nah nothing!

Offline Sibbo46

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr Sport SE
  • Town: Dudley
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 02:50:34 PM »
Thanks for that. Coolant is currently just above mind in expansion tank when cold.

Offline Arbourtek

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Nr Cirencester
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 05:40:40 PM »
I would replace the cap and take the bike for a run to make sure no further coolant loss is happening. It is possible it was blown open by high pressure or temperature, but hopefully it was a weak or poorly sealing cap that didn't manifest until hit by our barmy tropical summer.   
write something smart here..............nah nothing!