Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Handlebar vibration  (Read 1905 times)

Offline wealdy

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000r
  • Town: camelford
Handlebar vibration
« on: May 08, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »
Hi I have a 2017 XR which has the vibration mods already done ( as far as I can tell). Just got back from a trip to Germany and the bike was superb including a lap of the Nurburgring . However heading home on motorway I have def notified vibration around 5-5.5k. What additional successful mods has anyone made to sort this out? Apart from this issue the bike is amazing

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
Re: Handlebar vibration
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »
Hi mate, sounds like a great trip! I have a 16 XR, retro fit 17 bar mod, plus a set of evotech bar end weights, which are very good! Also a pair of grip puppies to help, apparently vibs reduce around 6k miles once it’s settled down also  :305:

Offline wealdy

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000r
  • Town: camelford
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »
 Cheers I am on circa 3200 currently

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 12:02:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by wealdy [+]
Hi I have a 2017 XR which has the vibration mods already done ( as far as I can tell). Just got back from a trip to Germany and the bike was superb including a lap of the Nurburgring . However heading home on motorway I have def notified vibration around 5-5.5k. What additional successful mods has anyone made to sort this out? Apart from this issue the bike is amazing

For some strange reason, every BMW I've had (opposed twins and the XR) it takes about 6K ++ miles for vibes to settle down and become smooth. Out of the crate, my 2016 XR's handlebar vibes were not that bad ("really" no worse than my previous R1200R), but I did get them factory retrofitted/ updated, which was free and helped reduce HB vibes by about 30%. Now at 6K miles, I feel the XR's handlebar vibes (with its stock grips, "I don't like large diameter grips, like grip puppies, or similar) are "virtually" butter smooth/  butter smooth for my tastes/ needs, and my hands never become fatigued/ can ride all day as they say.
mike k

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:47:08 PM »
 :460:

The XR is the first BMW I’ve owned.  At 3,000 miles, I have experienced a decrease in felt vibration also.  The entire motorcycle is actually smoothing out as the miles tick on.

However, my XR still smells like toasted bread when the motor gets wet.  It’s the best feature of the BMW that I hope never goes away!  :169:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Snowcat73

• XR Member
  • Bikes Dogs camping family beer, not in any order
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 03:41:50 PM »
Mine is a 2017 model and I don't have any vibes whatsoever. I have come from a 14 year old triumph tiger though so I may already be infected with some kind of bike related white finger as the XR is as smooth and comfortable as you like.
S1000XR latest in a long list, 30+ yrs in bikes, Castrol 2 stroke flows through my veins, my suspension is shot and the bodywork is a bit knackered but still plenty of life left in this high miler 😁

Offline Quicken_ZA

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2015 S1000XR
  • Town: Roodepoort
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 03:18:17 PM »
Can someone actually show me photos the retrofit parts? I went to my local stealership and bought new rubber mounts that fit underneath the handle bar clamps but since I fitted them I have felt no difference - the vibes are still there. They explained to me that the new parts are softer and will help with the vibes, but to me they look like exactly the same thing. I also have the Evo Bar ends fitted and they did help, but there is definitely still a vibe.

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Brierley Hill
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 06:48:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Quicken_ZA [+]
Can someone actually show me photos the retrofit parts? I went to my local stealership and bought new rubber mounts that fit underneath the handle bar clamps but since I fitted them I have felt no difference - the vibes are still there. They explained to me that the new parts are softer and will help with the vibes, but to me they look like exactly the same thing. I also have the Evo Bar ends fitted and they did help, but there is definitely still a vibe.

Just hit cruise control every now and again and give your hands a rest

Offline robs

• XR Member
  • Life is a Journey "Enjoy The Ride"
  • Bike: S 1000 XR
  • Town: DURBAN S.A
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 07:31:21 PM »
Hi There
I Have a 17 XR and it’s had the Mods done for the Vibration,What I have also done is remove the Weights on the End of each side and Pump the Bars full of Silicone !!!
Mine took 1 and a Half of the Large Industrial Tubes it helps ABSORB Any Vibrations. Then put it all back together.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:33:43 PM by robs »

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 04:40:39 AM »
Robs - how much weight did the silicon add?
I need to return some videotapes.

dysfunctional