Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BMW Bulletin - Aftermarket Radiator Guards  (Read 2283 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Patrick Bateman

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 207
  • Country: au
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
BMW Bulletin - Aftermarket Radiator Guards
« on: May 09, 2018, 05:07:38 AM »
Took my XR in to the dealer today for inspection of a leaky water pump. During the visit, the Technician showed me a BMW bulletin relating to aftermarket radiator guards.
Dealers have been instructed to reject any warranty claim for symptoms of overheating when anything but genuine radiator guards are fitted.
My bike isn't overheating, just dripping from the relief hole in the water pump base.

Just so you know. If the bike overheats for some reason, take the guards off before taking it to the dealership.


Interestingly, this Tech also tried to tell me that the fitment of a slip-on could be causing the vibrations in the bike - even though the handlebars are smooth, the pegs and seat still buzz.  :004:
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline Low-Brau

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 470
  • Country: us
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Re: BMW Bulletin - Aftermarket Radiator Guards
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]
Took my XR in to the dealer today for inspection of a leaky water pump. During the visit, the Technician showed me a BMW bulletin relating to aftermarket radiator guards.
Dealers have been instructed to reject any warranty claim for symptoms of overheating when anything but genuine radiator guards are fitted.
My bike isn't overheating, just dripping from the relief hole in the water pump base.

Just so you know. If the bike overheats for some reason, take the guards off before taking it to the dealership.


Interestingly, this Tech also tried to tell me that the fitment of a slip-on could be causing the vibrations in the bike - even though the handlebars are smooth, the pegs and seat still buzz.  :004:

Having just installed my guards... thanks for the update.

I have been paying attention to my operating temperatures (annoyingly, you cant shut that indicator off).  All appears normal for now.

I suppose it’s easy to point the finger at the guards as the problem, though.  :021:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Bree

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1569
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: BMW Bulletin - Aftermarket Radiator Guards
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 03:04:05 PM »
I did have a problem on my Previous Kawasaki Z1000SX . It ran perfectly ok temperature wise until I fitted a Rad Guard. After that when ever I sat in traffic the temperature would rise dramatically and even with the fan coming in the Temperature would remain high, until I got Moving . Removed the Guard and it went back to normal. I will admit that the Guard was a cheapy bought from Ebay so maybe that was the real problem.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Snowcat73

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 20
  • Country: england
  • Bikes Dogs camping family beer, not in any order
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Manchester
Re: BMW Bulletin - Aftermarket Radiator Guards
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »
When I bought mine from Williams Manchester I asked for a recommendation. I was told that BMW don't make guards specific to the XR nor do BMW recommend fitting them. He said the only.recommendation he could give was to get the most open mesh ones possible. I opted for the Givi ones as these appear to be the most open without any thick "dark spots" which could encourage overheating and so far bike seems to be behaving.
S1000XR latest in a long list, 30+ yrs in bikes, Castrol 2 stroke flows through my veins, my suspension is shot and the bodywork is a bit knackered but still plenty of life left in this high miler 😁

Online SimonUK

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 262
  • Country: us
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: BMW Bulletin - Aftermarket Radiator Guards
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 04:34:22 PM »
Not the same bike, but same engine! I fitted Cox guards to my S1000R, Does it get hot? Sure does when sitting still(220 is about the highest I've seen),  but no more so than without the guards. I have fitted Givi guards to the XR, and so far no 'extra' high temps noted.

Online otrp

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 509
  • Country: us
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
Re: BMW Bulletin - Aftermarket Radiator Guards
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 06:10:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
Not the same bike, but same engine! I fitted Cox guards to my S1000R, Does it get hot? Sure does when sitting still(220 is about the highest I've seen),  but no more so than without the guards. I have fitted Givi guards to the XR, and so far no 'extra' high temps noted.

Same here with Givi guards. Ran without them for a couple of months, then installed. Same temp readings with or without the guards.

Offline Gatsoburner

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 371
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Re: BMW Bulletin - Aftermarket Radiator Guards
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »
I bought a set of eBay 2 years ago when I got the bike, made by a semi pro racer of which the funds went to his racing, £20.
Engine temp has never changed in an adverse way, the only thing I can say is when washing the bike a heavy dose of water needs close spray on the mesh to clear it out but I'm talking once every few months.

Bmw doing what they do best, blame someone else  :151:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Bree

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1569
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: BMW Bulletin - Aftermarket Radiator Guards
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 10:38:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
I did have a problem on my Previous Kawasaki Z1000SX . It ran perfectly ok temperature wise until I fitted a Rad Guard. After that when ever I sat in traffic the temperature would rise dramatically and even with the fan coming in the Temperature would remain high, until I got Moving . Removed the Guard and it went back to normal. I will admit that the Guard was a cheapy bought from Ebay so maybe that was the real problem.



Forgot to mention that the one iv`e fitted to the XR works fine, with no problems ( Evotech )
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Patrick Bateman

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 207
  • Country: au
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
Re: BMW Bulletin - Aftermarket Radiator Guards
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 11:04:22 PM »
Mine are just the cheap ones from Ebay and the bike temps haven't changed.
Still sits in the 85-95 range when riding and only gets hotter when stuck in traffic - then the fans kick in.

I can imagine that if you let the radguards fill up with mud and bugs that they would impede airflow - but the same thing would happen without the guards.
Only difference is that BMW would blame the overheating on lack of maintenance rather than an aftermarket part.
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline BMW_XR_D

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 71
  • Country: us
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnoi8QWTyP1pAhgZo
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: brentwood
Re: BMW Bulletin - Aftermarket Radiator Guards
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 11:14:49 PM »
I bought cheap rad guards from eBay and they are great, 10min to install, Easy to clean, I’ve had no problems with overheating and would buy again.