Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Garmin Zumo 390 installation  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Snowcat73

• XR Member
  • Bikes Dogs camping family beer, not in any order
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Manchester
Garmin Zumo 390 installation
« on: May 09, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »
Hi all I've recently bought an S1000XR and it came with satnav prep however I didn't want to splash out a load of money on the factory unit and decided to fit my own satnav using the existing wiring. Fitted it okay and went for a ride. The satnav fired up when I switched on the ignition and all was going as it should until satnav suddenly shut off approx 100 miles into a ride. It wouldn't switch back on and assumed a dodgy connection or something.

Checked connections and all was fine, getting a12 volt feed to the cradle so assumed satnav battery was really low. Charged it at the mains and went for another ride last weekend, same thing happened, satnav died.

Its as if the bike is delivering a charge but it's not sufficient to keep the satnav charged when it's operating. Does anyone know if this circuit is a low current one? I am aware that it operates on a canbus system and the bmw sales guy did say the bikes accessory socket wasn't good for anything more than charging a mobile as the circuit is very low powered. Didn't want to connect the satnav direct to the battery but it appears it may be the only way round it.

Any help appreciated chaps, thanks.
S1000XR latest in a long list, 30+ yrs in bikes, Castrol 2 stroke flows through my veins, my suspension is shot and the bodywork is a bit knackered but still plenty of life left in this high miler 😁

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Garmin Zumo 390 installation
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 11:05:30 AM »
The canbus connection that the BMW-badged Zumos plug into - is fine for charging and maintaining a 390.

Are you sure that it is failing on lack of power/battery fail?   

In the short term/test - can you power it from a. USB battery pack, even if it is in your top box/tank bag - to test that it isnt an internal fault with the Zumoo?   That’s what I would do first. 

If it is failing on power failure - it is more likely to be in the contact pins on the mount.   Not sure which pins are meant to be live, but a check with a multimeter would identify if any are actually live.

HTH

Offline Snowcat73

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 01:45:24 PM »
I'll give it a try at weekend with the external power. The pins on the mount are fine and kicking out over 12 volts. It just seems coincidental that it was working perfectly on my other bikes and now suddenly it's not. Its only a couple of years old and not used more than a handful of times so it is actually like new
S1000XR latest in a long list, 30+ yrs in bikes, Castrol 2 stroke flows through my veins, my suspension is shot and the bodywork is a bit knackered but still plenty of life left in this high miler 😁

Offline Snowcat73

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 01:46:43 PM »
Just wanted to let you know, following a conversation with the workshop manager at Williams BMW Manchester this morning, he recognised and diagnosed the issue this morning and gave me steps to take to rectify it. Basically the way I'd wired it (Without the step down voltage box on the power lead) it was contradicting the canbus system and causing the circuit to trip out.

Armed with this new information (which makes complete sense) I am going to rewire it tomorrow and all should be well.

Much better than having to shell out for a new satnav in any event.

Online otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 01:52:15 PM »
Hope it works out for you. Let us know how it goes.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Snowcat73 [+]
I'll give it a try at weekend with the external power. The pins on the mount are fine and kicking out over 12 volts. It just seems coincidental that it was working perfectly on my other bikes and now suddenly it's not. Its only a couple of years old and not used more than a handful of times so it is actually like new

Yup -- there's your problem.   It's meant to run at USB voltage (5v).

Offline Mally

• XR Member
  • Town: Nr Milton Keynes
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 06:45:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Snowcat73 [+]
Just wanted to let you know, following a conversation with the workshop manager at Williams BMW Manchester this morning, he recognised and diagnosed the issue this morning and gave me steps to take to rectify it. Basically the way I'd wired it (Without the step down voltage box on the power lead) it was contradicting the canbus system and causing the circuit to trip out.

Armed with this new information (which makes complete sense) I am going to rewire it tomorrow and all should be well.

Much better than having to shell out for a new satnav in any event.

Did you manage to resolve this issue? Can you say what you did and do you have any pics of the connections? I'm currently looking to wire in a Garmin 595 rather than get the BMW satnav, so dont want to replicate any problems.

Many thanks

Mally

Offline Snowcat73

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 08:25:45 AM »
It turns out the satnav was actually faulty, sent it back to Garmin and they issued a replacement for £82. Just use the normal cable and connect it to the existing cabling, really simple job to be honest.

dysfunctional