Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cruise Control not working  (Read 1476 times)

Online millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
Cruise Control not working
« on: May 09, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »
Just been out for a run today and noticed the cruise control has stopped working...any suggestions for checking before I contact the dealer?
S1000XR Sport SE

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
Re: Cruise Control not working
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »
After market levers fitted? Can catch the switch very easily

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 06:48:37 PM »
There by hangs a tale  :002:,i’ve No idea when mine stop working as I think i’ve tried it twice for novelties sake iin 2 years,,came to use it on the Peage the other week and nothing,haha I think after market lever,take it off and fit the original and still the same so at some time I will have to take a little more interest  :164:

Online millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by LAMBO281 [+]
After market levers fitted? Can catch the switch very easily

Same as Winger - I don't recall if it was working before I fitted new levers.  The switches look as they did when I fitted the levers though.  Is there a way of checking?
S1000XR Sport SE

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 07:57:07 PM »
I know when cruise control is on I only need to tap the clutch lever about 1/2 inch (taking up the slack) before the sensor turns it off. Actually quite like it, easy tap with no jolting. I have the puigs fitted

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 08:25:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by millview [+]
Same as Winger - I don't recall if it was working before I fitted new levers.  The switches look as they did when I fitted the levers though.  Is there a way of checking?

Quite funny because when I  tried it the other week and it didn’t work I got into the realms of principle!!! because apart from once in 2 years cruise is about as much use to me as a chocolate teapot  :001: I changed back to a stock lever and it was the same and thought feck it I can’t be bothered.

Fast forward to your post and thought I really should get off my arse and sort it  :084: bend down and look under the lever there is a micro switch with two metal tabs the one at the bottom needs to be under the lever,pull the lever in and press it down with your other hand and let the lever go and hey presto so thanks for the boot up the arse  :001: and it does work i’ve Just ridden it.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 08:46:22 AM »
You guys have slid the switch across to turn it on haven't you ?

You need to have it turned on and then press the engage button.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 11:26:04 AM »
About a million times when I was bored on the Peage,when you take the lever off Be it aftermarket or stock it’s easy for the one metal strip to be at the back of the lever instead of underneath just pull the lever in and press the metal tab in with your thumb or finger.

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
  • Town: South Coast
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »
Yup it's all to do with the clutch lever, I had similar issues with stock levers, lubricated cables and joints and the lever returned to it's normal position and the cruise started working again. If you have aftermarket levers you need to make the microswitch behind the lever is working correctly and returning to the correct resting position.

Offline tor

• XR Member
  • Norwegian Viking
  • Bike: 18 XR / 15 GSA
  • Town: Pee Dee of SC
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 11:33:34 AM »
Just as an addition piece of information.

I had issues with my left switchgear on my 2015 GSA. The cruise would disconnect sometimes if the cruise lever was pulled back to "restore" previous cruise speed. I believe the switchgear on the XR is the same type gear used.

Quite a few others also had the same issue, primarily on GS and GSA. Not saying this is your issue, but just as an FYI. My switchgear was replaced under warranty.