Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trackers  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Penpals

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR
  • Town: Bruton
Trackers
« on: May 10, 2018, 08:06:07 AM »
With so many bikes getting stolen nowadays does it make financial sense to get a Tracker fitted? I know insurers give a premium discount but after paying the cost of fitting, annual subscriptions not sure the benefits outweigh the outgoings and the whole thing looks a bit of a racket. On the other hand had my S1000RR stolen in Central London a couple of years ago, that didn’t have a Tracker and it probably ended up in Eastern Europe!

Offline Taffcd

• XR Member
  • Welsh and Thirsty
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Manchester
Re: Trackers
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »
I feel your pain, had my KTM 1190 Adventure stolen just before Xmas. Have looked into this Tracker idea but so many to choose from with different premiums. Have also found out that most can also be deactivated or hidden by the scumbags who steal them.

I just carry a decent chain and lock,
Welsh and Thirsty

Offline Penpals

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR
  • Town: Bruton
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 08:18:27 AM »
Takes the fun out of biking if you have to carry round heavy duty chains, handlebar and disk locks. :232:

Offline Taffcd

• XR Member
  • Welsh and Thirsty
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 08:20:54 AM »
Thats why I give it to the misses to carry on her bike so I can play lol.
Welsh and Thirsty

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 08:51:21 AM »
If you are going to get one make sure it is the type that uses GPS and not radio signals. I am no expert, but I did spend a lot of time trolling through the many many ones that are advertised. And the general view was the GPS sender was more accurate, and less likely to be Blocked. But as for me, reading the many stories of the police not going to investigate. Turned me off of buying one as it is not cheap.  :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline MattR

• Forum Help & Support
  • XR Pro
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 11:21:31 AM »
To some extent I think it depends on where and when you ride, and also what your overnight parking/garaging is like.

If I commuted to a large city each day (London for example) and parked up in a street bay then I think I'd seriously consider one these days.

If you live sleepyville and only ride for fun at w/ends then probably not much point.   :002:

Offline Snowcat73

• XR Member
  • Bikes Dogs camping family beer, not in any order
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
Going to play devils advocate here and trust me I think there is very little worse in this world than a dirty little no good thieving scrote going after the property of someone who's worked hard for it, I'd dearly love to get my hands on one of them because I would gladly do time for what I do to them. Anyway we all have our bikes insured and do our best to keep them safe but at the end of the day these little twunts do get their hands on them and yes having a tracker does increase the chances of seeing your pride and joy again but would you really want it back??

Personally if mine was stolen I wouldn't want to think of the fuckers sitting on it, riding it, thrashing it, crashing it.. The damage they did in pinching it etc. I think I'd just make my claim, get my pay out and move on. I'd never enjoy riding that bike again, it would feel tainted. I've had cars broken into in the past and stereos taken etc, I've always repaired them and sold them. Maybe it's a personal thing but that's my two penneth anyway.
S1000XR latest in a long list, 30+ yrs in bikes, Castrol 2 stroke flows through my veins, my suspension is shot and the bodywork is a bit knackered but still plenty of life left in this high miler 😁

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 11:29:33 AM »
Trackers are for insurance companies same as alarms it get confusing when the guy in the street thinks it’s to their advantage to have one,i’ve Had two bikes stolen didn’t get either back but more importantly didn’t want them back.

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 01:02:04 PM »
GPS signal is quite weak and very easy to jam. Jamming devices are freely available and work effectively. Some devices can take down devices over a very large area without discrimination.
Once you place it under hard cover (building or back or a van) GPS is rendered useless too. It'll tell you the last known location is all.

I think they are a waste of money, in the sense that it'll cost you more than you save on insurance premiums. Same as alarms really.
If your property gets nicked it MAY allow you to locate it, but having the appropriate assistance from the police can't be guaranteed.
I know a bike dealer who had two bikes nicked a year or so back. The dealer did there own investigations and tracked down their bikes. Gave the evidence to the police who refused to take action. That's why I say they are a waste of money.

You can't beat a bit of physical security. Well you can, but its about making someone elses bike an easier looking target.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 01:08:50 PM by Nelster »

Offline Morse

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Northampton
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »
I have a Biketrac, reason being almost everybody ignores alarms. Not yet had a real alert, but several when I forget to disable it on the iPhone app when moving/washing/working on it.
Would never bother with an alarm again, as the Biketrac was a bit cheaper than a factory alarm but worth £10/month subscription.
It works inside vans, shipping containers & buildings, see here:
https://biketrac.co.uk/#features