Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Puig, MRA, Wunderlich, which screen?  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Spooch

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: GRANTHAM
Puig, MRA, Wunderlich, which screen?
« on: May 11, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »
Going touring in July and looking for a new screen that will hopefully cut down on some wind noise. Purchased a Schuberth helmet which was a complete waste of money so hoping not to make another costly mistake again. I'm about 6ft, any comments and views appreciated.
Cheers  :002:
If your not going to thrash it leave it in the garage !!

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
Re: Puig, MRA, Wunderlich, which screen?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 09:15:12 PM »
Hi mate, I’ve had a couple of screens, had the MRA but not for me looks like a big plate sat on the front of it, now have a wunderlich touring in tint for long trips, and a small one for blasts out, but saying that just done 650 miles up t dales on the XR with the wunderlich screen and I really like it!!!!  I’m 5,9 no wind on lowest setting, strangely buffeting in the highest setting.

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:19:48 PM »

Offline Salem

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 11:25:47 PM »
I can take a pic of the bike tomorrow, but this is mine. 3d printed thru shapeways. It's about as minimal as one can get. It can be improved upon, and could be even lower. Not cheap though, expect €180. But my helmet is in clean air

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 06:19:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by LAMBO281 [+]

Not so keen on the “Chesterfield” look of the screw-mounts on that screen  :431:

But - if you’ve found one that works for you, that’s the main thing.  :028:

:001:

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 06:28:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Not so keen on the “Chesterfield” look of the screw-mounts on that screen  :431:

WTF I kill you for this!!!!!  :192: :150:
Yep I was unsure at the start but grown on me, was better with black bolts in, silver looked like eyes  :305:

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 12:21:47 AM »
That "wunderlich touring screen" is GOOD LOOKING (even the screw mounting "dimples" are kind of cute/ interesting??!!  :084:)

As for various available windscreens for the XR (Puig - Wunderlich - MRA), I bet they are all pretty close in terms of providing better wind protection compared to the stock windscreen. As for me, 6'0 / 32" inseam I'm using the MRA VarioTouringscreen, which, IMO provides a good 30% to 40% improvement over the stock screen (which was pretty decent windscreen), and it accomplished what I was looking/ hoping for.

As for the MRA's looks, IMO it's not bad/ good, but does cross the finish line in terms of blending with the XR unusual good looks.
mike k

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 01:42:20 AM »
I tried a Puig, but the curvature of the screen was off quite a bit and the left and right screw holes on the screen did not match the holes on the bike.

I swapped it out for an MRA Vario, and that fit perfectly and works well, with only slight turbulence in the upper position. (I'm 6' tall.)

Offline SteveB67

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Tyne Valley
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 11:24:38 AM »
Hi, I have tried all three. Im 6ft 3 ins tall. Puig touring just seemed to aim all of the wind at my head. Wunderlich was a vast improvement and looked great. But i've settled on the MRA Vario. Just done 1000 miles into Scotland over 3 days and it was really good, not perfect. But if i wanted no wind blast/turbulance i'd have taken the car  :008:

Offline Arbourtek

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Nr Cirencester
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »
I’ve also got the MRA, in my view for its size it does a great job. Probably better than a much larger screen due to those louvers.
I don’t find it as good looking as for instance the  Wunderlich again down to those louvers.
write something smart here..............nah nothing!

dysfunctional