Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: First run on the Roadsmart 3  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
First run on the Roadsmart 3
on: May 12, 2018, 05:07:09 PM
Had a good run down to Kirkcudbright today, and back via the revamped Glen Cafe at St Mary's Loch.

Lots of bikes out, including the usual knobs who rev up their engines off the limiters on leaving.   

A nice Porsche and a Lamborghini Aventador there too.  The Aventador aint exactly a slouch off the line  :005:

Tyres seem good, just need to get my head around their 'newness'.

Saw one other XR at the cafe:

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Town: CA
Re: First run on the Roadsmart 3
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 04:52:32 PM
I found the RS3 to start out its life very very very good, and then lacks grip later in life (past 50% worn). Keep an eye out for that!

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 01:23:51 AM
After a lifetime of Pilot Roads, I've switched to Roadsmart 4. They are coming in next week, so I have no first-hand reports.  However, my last set of Pilot Roads slipped out enough times to make me ingest seat foam through my posterior.  So, I figure I'll move to something else.  Hopefully, they are satisfactory.  :169:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 09:47:43 AM
If that was May 18, then after a short run-in in UK - I took the bike on a trip through France, probably doing around 3,500 miles total on them.

I have to say - They didn't suit me.    I had read from someone that they have very stiff sidewalls, and that is what it felt like - on the road.

I would be riding down an A-road, and found the bike to 'wander about'. I even questioned what it might look like from behind!

I suspect that they just made the bike more 'agile' and change direction easier than I was used to with previous tyres,  but - I also got the feeling that they weren't in such solid contact with the tarmac over imperfections?  Hard to explain the exact feeling.

I am sure they are great tyres - I just had to admit that they didn't suit me.    I think I went back to Metz Roadtec-01 after that.

It will be interesting to hear what you make of the Roadsmart 4.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 10:57:31 AM
Bought my first Road Smart in 2002 when I converted my 955 Tiger to 17” wheels, very quickly swapped the front for a Sport Smart and ran that combo allowing for updated RS over the years on 3 bikes, I have a fair bit to do with the bike trade so can be a victim of politics and financial circumstances.....and swapped to Michelin when I bought the X/R in 16 and went an identical route started with Road 5’s then swapped the front for a Power RS.

Mileage out of tyres is not something I worry about too much and have ended up Power RS both ends and a 5 on the rear for decent trips

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 07:19:31 PM
I have had many sets of RoadSmart's on various bikes, probably ten sets.  I detect a difference between the worn out tire and the new set, but it is not traction.  What I feel different is the lack of a round profile on the worn out tire, it is more difficult to lean the bike over.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 07:52:10 PM
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Bought my first Road Smart in 2002 when I converted my 955 Tiger to 17” wheels, very quickly swapped the front for a Sport Smart and ran that combo allowing for updated RS over the years on 3 bikes, I have a fair bit to do with the bike trade so can be a victim of politics and financial circumstances.....and swapped to Michelin when I bought the X/R in 16 and went an identical route started with Road 5’s then swapped the front for a Power RS.

Mileage out of tyres is not something I worry about too much and have ended up Power RS both ends and a 5 on the rear for decent trips

I think it may have been your recommendation (sometime between Summer 2017 and 2018) which prompted me to try the Roadsmart.  I think you did highlight the stiff sidewall, though.

But hey!  You give a tyre a try, you form your own opinions and try something else if appropriate.

Read a few reviews, get some input from people - and take a punt.    :028:

Offline Belco100

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Gen 1 Triple Blk
  • Town: Essex
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 02:25:27 PM
I have used them as my tyre of choice on my K1600GT for a few years now - the stiff sidewalls are great and really suit that bike and grip well when riding with a bit of spirit and force. I did wonder how they would be on a lighter bike, it will be interesting to hear.

Offline JerryG

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 07:52:52 AM
I use RS3s as my standard street tire on both my 2017 RR and my 2021 XR for aggressive riding here in the mountains of Western North Carolina (WNC). I've never noticed an issue with traction or stiffness. For track days, I switch to a Q3+ or equivalent. Incidentally, the roughness of roads here eats tires: I use up my front tires in about 1000 miles while my back tires get about 1500 miles. When I get out of the area, e.g., during a long distance ride out to and around the Ozarks, I got almost 5000 miles on a set of RS3s.

Offline SwiftTone

• XR Member
  • Town: Boston, MA
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 06:19:34 PM
Loved the RS3 on my XR. Ran 35/41 tire pressure and got over 8000 miles out of them. 5000 miles of those were fully loaded touring set up. I'm pretty aggressive rider that ride the tires edge to edge with a lot of clutch up wheelies. Surprised I got so many miles. They started to feel flat at around 6000 miles.

I liked them so much I got the RS4. Will review once I get some miles on them.