Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: First run on the Roadsmart 3  (Read 3041 times)

Online Antares

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000XR
Re: First run on the Roadsmart 3
Reply #30 on: April 08, 2021, 10:04:40 PM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]
Q: Who is in a better position to know the real science on this? A: The manufacturers with real scientists doing real science with a demonstrated decades long record of providing us with better and better tires. Unless you can cite published peer reviewed science to the contrary, your case for not following manufacturer recommendations is weak.

Sorry but 99% of the time manufacturer's recommendations are either waaaaaay too conservative or straight up bogus. Break in for engines is a good example, plenty of evidence out there proving a hard break in is better for longevity and power, not that modern engines need a long break in either. Tyre pressures are sometimes straight up ridiculous, stupid recommendations and warnings such such as this one:

:038:

I trust the team of engineers and scientists who built the bike, but, Owners manuals and warning labels are NOT written by them. They are written by lawyers.
I don't wanna pretend to be a smartass but I've had the chance to acquire deep insight and plenty of hands on examples during my automotive and motorsport engineering course at university and working as a mechanic.
Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:07:40 PM by Antares

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 06:07:50 AM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
These are only on there for liability purposes. That article basically only talks about getting accustomed to the tire too.
I agree.

My question is still:  if a person can fall off by using a part of the tire that has not been "scrubbed", how do you "scrub" it without falling off?

Offline SwiftTone

• XR Member
  • Town: Boston, MA
Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 06:25:47 AM
*Originally Posted by runnerhiker [+]
I agree.

My question is still:  if a person can fall off by using a part of the tire that has not been "scrubbed", how do you "scrub" it without falling off?

Smooth on the throttle, smooth on the brakes

Online Antares

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000XR
Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 06:00:27 PM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
Sorry but 99% of the time manufacturer's recommendations are either waaaaaay too conservative or straight up bogus. Break in for engines is a good example, plenty of evidence out there proving a hard break in is better for longevity and power, not that modern engines need a long break in either. Tyre pressures are sometimes straight up ridiculous, stupid recommendations and warnings such such as this one:

:038:

I trust the team of engineers and scientists who built the bike, but, Owners manuals and warning labels are NOT written by them. They are written by lawyers.
I don't wanna pretend to be a smartass but I've had the chance to acquire deep insight and plenty of hands on examples during my automotive and motorsport engineering course at university and working as a mechanic.

Talking about bogus recommendations I've been wondering for a while if it's possible to do a burnout on this bike but the manual states this:

So I went out to try it.
Sure enough I pull the front brake, rear wheel locks in Dynamic.
So let's try Dynamic Pro. Same thing.

Turn off DTC and ABS: Rear wheel spins freely whilst I'm pulling the front brake as hard as I can.
I tried light pull, slowly pulling it, pulling it fast, no difference, rear wheel spins freely. So what now BMW???

Joke is in the RR an R manual it says this:

:187:

So if the manual doesn't know that turning ABS off actually does actually turn integral pressure build up OFF on their own bikes how am I supposed to trust it?

Just a funny thing I noticed, again everyone is entitled to their opinions and can do as they like  :047:

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 06:09:25 PM
*Originally Posted by runnerhiker [+]
I agree.

I thought I had explained that reasonably well?

*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
From 0deg to 15deg there is very little centrifugal force to break grip, that force increases of course until you are subjecting a significant patch of 'new' rubber to significant centrifugal force -

As you get towards significant lean angles the more 'new' patch you are loading up - the more likely you are to break grip.

SO- when you get beyond (15deg) - you start to do incremental increases rather than going straight for another 15deg.

(above angles are for illustration)

dysfunctional