Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: First run on the Roadsmart 3  (Read 3038 times)

Online Antares

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000XR
Re: First run on the Roadsmart 3
Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 10:31:51 PM
Scrubbing tyres in is mostly a myth nowadays. 90% of new tyres are good to go straight from the factory grip wise, that said there are plenty of reasons to take it easy on a new tyre:
1: Surface is smooth and therefore low grip on rough gritty surfaces, need 1-2 miles to roughen up the contact surface.
2: New tyre, potentially new tyre profile, you're not used to it. If you go from a squared off touring tyre to a V shaped track tyre the sudden lean will most likely catch you off guard.
3: Mechanics like to over inflate the crap out of tyres after fitting. I've seen as high as 50 psi after fitting, absolutely bonkers.

There is no residual oils or anything of the sort that you need 100+ miles to scrub off. Any stories related to this are purely anecdotal and most likely a combination of bad luck an inexperience with new bike/tyres.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 11:54:18 PM
See Item 12 from Dunlop’s own web site:

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/about/care/#tip-12

100 mile run in needed.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Online Antares

• XR Member
Reply #22 on: April 08, 2021, 12:15:07 AM
These are only on there for liability purposes. That article basically only talks about getting accustomed to the tire too.
Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:16:52 AM by Antares

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Reply #23 on: April 08, 2021, 01:51:05 AM
I guess I’m judging by the warnings from the installer echoed by the warnings from the manufacturer echoed by my own experience.

Nobody’s stating that scrubbing in is a mandate, just an explanation as to why so many riders roll over with freshly mounted skins.  :002:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Online Antares

• XR Member
Reply #24 on: April 08, 2021, 12:58:19 PM
Sure, manufacturers and mechanics don't wanna be the reason you crash but realistically for some tyres that last 2000 miles babying them for 100 miles, some people take it even further is frankly just a waste of their life. I'm not saying I'm doing a wheelie straight out of the tyre shop and a stoppie at the stop sign, but if you do crash 30 miles into a new tyre 99% it's not the lack of grip from it being new. Accidents do happen but I've yet to notice any significant change in grip between 50 mile and 1000 mile old tyres and I've gone through a fair amount of new rubber. Then again that's purely anecdotal. I understand reluctance because in the not so long ago past tyres really had mould release agents and other stuff that might need to be scrubbed off but modern tyres don't have these anymore, none of them, tyres also wear much quicker than people think and the outermost layer of rubber on the surface will be gone in a matter of seconds. I'm not gonna diss anyone's views, if you wanna go easy on your tyres, go ahead, but if you're happy to start using them, you're also good to go.
Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:59:56 PM by Antares

Offline SwiftTone

• XR Member
  • Town: Boston, MA
Reply #25 on: April 08, 2021, 08:28:11 PM
Break in period ends the moment you can scrub the tires in and get some texture into them. If you ride 100 miles straight on the highway it is not broken in.

Online Mareng1

• XR God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 08:35:45 PM
*Originally Posted by SwiftTone [+]
Break in period ends the moment you can scrub the tires in and get some texture into them. If you ride 100 miles straight on the highway it is not broken in.

Is a good summary.   

There will still be some heroes with other notions, though.

At the end of the day, whatever each individual does- will have little impact on society.  If they bin it within 50yds - their family might 'boo-hoo' for a while, but conversely -  the biking fraternity gains some spare parts.

Do what you want.    :028:

Offline JerryG

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 09:15:24 PM
Q: Who is in a better position to know the real science on this? A: The manufacturers with real scientists doing real science with a demonstrated decades long record of providing us with better and better tires. Unless you can cite published peer reviewed science to the contrary, your case for not following manufacturer recommendations is weak.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 09:18:08 PM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]
Q: Who is in a better position to know the real science on this? A: The manufacturers with real scientists doing real science with a demonstrated decades long record of providing us with better and better tires. Unless you can cite published peer reviewed science to the contrary, your case for not following manufacturer recommendations is weak.

I hear what you say, but how many of us follow the manufacturers tire pressure recommendations - 36/42(f/r)??

Offline SwiftTone

• XR Member
  • Town: Boston, MA
Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 09:21:31 PM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]

So are you saying that if the manufacture states break-in period of 100 miles, then 100 miles straight on the highway is going to break in the whole tire including the parts that have not made contact with the pavement?

dysfunctional