Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi, newbie(possibly)  (Read 837 times)

Offline C3RRR

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr sport se
  • Town: nottingham
Hi, newbie(possibly)
« on: May 15, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
Hi guys im Paul from Nottingham.
I currently own a tuono factory 1100 and im considering swapping for a 2017 sport SE.
I test rode a 16 plate yesterday and liked it, it was very nice and wasnt sure what model it was, I think it was a sport.
It was comfy and fast but very different to my tv4.
Ive arranged a test ride on the 17 plate this Friday just to be double sure.
My riding skillls felt improved within the hour. 
The tuono feels very special in lots of ways but is more of a pure sports bike.
I loved stiffening the suspension up on the fly and the quickshift is faultless.
Im I right in thinking the 17 has a blipper for downshifts too?   Other than my ego of owning a bad boy bike I cant see a reason to keep the Aprilia.
Have many swapped from sports bikes and have stayed happy with the XR?

Online bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Re: Hi, newbie(possibly)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:21:20 AM »
Keep the Tuono as well, I did :)

I planned on selling the Tuono but then I realised they were so different and I like riding both of them :-)

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »
Downshifts are accompanied by a throttle blip, when required - yes.

The system works well on the XR, apparently a lot better than the same system on the BMW boxer-twins.

Offline C3RRR

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 05:00:43 PM »
i cant offord to keep the tuono as well so only have the one option.  \ive booked another test ride this friday so im hoping it will make my mind up

Offline rmh999

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Swindon, Wilts
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 06:51:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
Downshifts are accompanied by a throttle blip, when required - yes.

The system works well on the XR, apparently a lot better than the same system on the BMW boxer-twins.

I tested the GS and the XR back to back at the BMW dealer suggestion - and found the XR QS implementation much superior....

Took me a while to get used to as I have done clutchless up shifts on a big V Twin for years and manually blip the throttle so much it became habit - when the Qshifter does it as well it gets really lurchy --- just had to retrain myself and now quite used to it....

Still getting used to the lack of engine braking - just a difference with a V twin vs IL4 engine ...

Offline Spiceboy

• XR Member
  • Town: Bury St Edmunds
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 08:21:50 PM »
I've had sports bikes for years (too many - years that is) my last two were ZX10's and 2 years ago test rode an XR, now I'm on my 2nd one, both from new and wouldn't dream of going back.

Our roads in the UK are so bumpy and full of pot holes etc which has taken the fun out of riding a sport bike in anger. Without question I can defo ride an XR just as quick as any sportsbike on A/B roads and it's way more enjoyable. You just have to get over not having a looker in the garage.

Have been out this afternoon and just turned 500 miles and can really notice the difference with the new 2018 model, lots more punch out of the corners and the gearbox/quickshifter is way more smoother up and down the box, hardly use the clutch now.

Test ride it for at least two hours to really get the feel of it and then - Just go for it Dude.
Cheers,
Charlie Spiceboy.

Offline C3RRR

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 08:01:59 AM »
 :0461:
Its living with the image after the swap.  You are totally right about everything you have said.
Im hoping another ride on friday will convince me more, might take the tv4 out 1st as already have a buyer and he isnt coming until the weekend and then go out on the bemmer

Offline Spiceboy

• XR Member
  • Town: Bury St Edmunds
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 08:07:21 AM »
I forgot to say, be sure to be in at least DYNAMIC riding mode and also have the suspension in dynamic too.  :305:
Cheers,
Charlie Spiceboy.

dysfunctional