Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitted new tyres myself!  (Read 1651 times)

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
Fitted new tyres myself!
« on: May 15, 2018, 02:48:10 PM »
I've been fitting tyres to my trail bikes for years, but never a road bike. So I thought; "How hard can it be!"  I picked up a pair of T30s for £175 which I didn't think was a bad price. (Dated Oct 2017).  My local mechanic had always supplied and fitted my tyres, but for a pair of T30s he wanted £235 - fitted. Usually I'm ok with a £20 difference, even £30, but for £60 - I'll give it go  :001:

Of course I have most of the kit I needed except for a mount/demount bar for alloy wheels. I picked one up for £70, all nylon coated stainless steel. And a wheel balancer + weights
I bought an alloy wheel to practice on off ebay for £10 (from a 1995 ZXR400).  I changed that tyre about 10 times. I made a note of things that worked well and what didn't.  I can't say there wasn't some trepidation when brought the XR rear wheel into the garage and put it on the (manual) tyre changer:
The hardest part was breaking the bead!

Putting the new tyres on was also reasonably easy despite some hefty pushing and shoving of the bead into the drop centre, aided by a large cable tie.

Things nearly came to an abrupt halt when my small-ish compressor only just about delivered enough air to pop the bead on the rim of the rear wheel, but it got there with a very pleasing POP-POP.

All completed without issue.  :046:

I found manually balancing the wheels strangely satisfying!

Scrubbed in the tyres and no issues as far as I can tell.  If you don't hear from me again there was a problem.........

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Fitted new tyres myself!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 03:25:43 PM »
Fair play to you but you’ll certainly be on a steep learning curve with the difference in tyre wall flex depending on the make,don’t ever try to fit a Road Smart on a cold day  :001:

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Town: England
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »
Luckily it was a sunny day - I left the tyres out in the sun - I'm sure that helped.
Thanks for the tip on Roadsmarts - If I did go for them, I'll dig out the tyre warmers from when I did track days

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:30:15 AM »
It is strangely satisfying doing it yourself. I started on a few smaller tubed tyres but have done up to 190 section.
I don't have any fancy kit. For bead breaking i have a cheap motion pro tool which is akin to a plastic spade that you just hit with a mallet.
The critical thing is using tyre lube to fit new rubber, making sure you get the bead in the centre groove, and I have found they almost slide on by hand. My first time was quite trying, but you learn from mistakes and practice.
I was able to pop the bead of my Pilot power 2 on my Daytona rim using a bicycle hand pump. No compressor needed. Just patience   :002:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:36:47 AM by Nelster »

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 09:07:08 AM »
Tempting as it is - it costs me £54 for a tyre-change and balance on ride-in/ride-out.   Might get that down to £35-£40 for loose wheels, - and I won’t loose any fingers  :028:

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 02:46:53 PM »
If you do have access to tyres before fitting it’s a great learning process because when see how soft some of the side walls are on tyres you’ll get a far better understanding with what is going on with such.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 02:56:30 PM »
My local Bike shop charges £20 cash for loose wheels while you wait.  :028:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline SteveB67

• XR Member
  • Town: Tyne Valley
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:27:23 PM »
£10.00 per loose wheel for me at my local  :020:

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 10:51:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
My local Bike shop charges £20 cash for loose wheels while you wait.  :028:

Yep thats £20 per pair for me also...
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 03:04:12 AM »
Regardless of cost, I respect the self reliance and a job well done   :152:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark