Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ok, so I've ridden one.....  (Read 3463 times)

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Nottingham
Ok, so I've ridden one.....
« on: August 23, 2015, 11:48:16 AM »
Not bad are they  :015:

Currently got the S1000r and love it to bits, problem is the Mrs doesn't and for once it'd be nice to have her company on a few rides especially over to Germany as a few other lads I've ridden with over the years have pretty much hung up their boots.

Decided to take her out yesterday and try both the XR and the Multistrada dvt.

Being honest I liked both but I think the riding position fits me better on the XR and also the Mrs preferred it as she said it had less vibration.

Now that I found odd as I felt less through the bars on the multistrada but she felt them at the back  :084:

That said I wouldn't say the XR vibration was that bad for me though so no dramas, it's definitely a high frequency vibration but owning a s1000r has probably bedded me in.

I'm hopefully going back next weekend for my solo rides and that's what will seal things, it needs to flick my switch like the naked bike before I'd even consider the move.

So I have plenty of questions and the first is - who's purchased just a Sports version?

£14700+ is a little too rich for me and unless a dealer happens to have a perfect condition red SE going cheap I'm not sure I'm that fussed on the electronic suspension and I've never once used panniers in my life.

Give me quick shifters and TC any day, but so far I've not ridden a 'sky hook' type bike that performs so well that I'm happy to pay for it, it's no different to the multistrada 1200S I rode yesterday either.

I'd much prefer a bike that's easier to get resprung and set up correctly by somebody like Ktech for 99% of what I want, then a simple preload adjustment needed when the Mrs comes with me.

A few other questions I have are below if anybody can help :

What top boxes can be fitted to the XR and how?

I'm under the impression that the newer water cooled GS top boxes fit straight on to the genuine rack but I'm thinking of something like a Givi 48ltr (two helmet fitting size) box. The one I had on my 2012 multistrada 1200 s was perfect (genuine ducati but I believe givi) as it had a back rest for the Mrs and could easily fit enough in for both of us for a short trip.

How would I get that to fit? I think the givi stuff comes with a mount plate but not sure if that will work with the XR rack.

Also what else am I missing if I get the sport?

Is it:

Sat Nav set up
Electronic suspension
Pannier cages
Rear rack
Centre stand
Hand guards?

Also what about shorter looking tinted screens? I've read lots about people wanting higher screens but I'm used to wind blast and frankly the stock screen looks hideous to me

I'm sure I'll think of more but so far I'm pretty sure a ride on my own might push me in the right direction :)

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
Re: Ok, so I've ridden one.....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »
Sorry forgot about the tail tidy, for the love of God please tell me some smart engineering type has figured out how to do a tail tidy?

Bloody Brussels has a lot to answer for if you ask me

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 01:12:03 PM »
Hello got a Givi Monkey 57 on mine and apart from the head shake at 128mph riding solo it is smooth up to 150 with panniers and pillion.  Just need the General adapter plate for monkey and a bit of a bash with a hammer on the hooks underneath and it will go straight onto the Luggage rack.  The back bolt holes are inline so only need to lock down the front of the grid.

As Always Ride Safe.

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 02:47:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by fgdriver [+]
Hello got a Givi Monkey 57 on mine and apart from the head shake at 128mph riding solo it is smooth up to 150 with panniers and pillion.  Just need the General adapter plate for monkey and a bit of a bash with a hammer on the hooks underneath and it will go straight onto the Luggage rack.  The back bolt holes are inline so only need to lock down the front of the grid.

That's great thanks

So basically buy the standard rack (if I only get the sport) and the givi attachment plate that comes with the top boxes fits?

Would I need anything else bud?

Offline Tobyduke

• XR Member
  • Bike: ktm 690r duke
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 03:23:22 PM »
Test Drove A xr and a rs. Went for the rs much the better bike.

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 05:10:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tobyduke [+]

I'm sure the RS is great but it's not what I'm after, I like the engine of the S1000r

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tobyduke [+]

What are you doing on an XR forum then? :745:

Offline Tobyduke

• XR Member
  • Bike: ktm 690r duke
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 05:50:40 PM »
Because I like the xr