Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pheasant attack  (Read 907 times)

Offline Mumbo Jumbo

• XR Junior
  • Town: County Durham
Pheasant attack
« on: May 23, 2018, 06:26:16 AM »
Guys I’m looking for a bit of advice. I was out riding on Sunday and hit a pheasant at about 70mph. It flew up out of the verge and hit me in the face. The visor took the hit and cracked at the hinge, so what’s your thoughts should I replace my helmet or just the visor ? It’s a Schuberth S2.

I got a fat lip for my troubles and a bit of a ringing headache for a few hours.

Cheers

Offline rmh999

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Swindon, Wilts
Re: Pheasant attack
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:33:57 AM »
Firstly - sounds like the damage is limited and mainly - you're OK …. so well done for staying wheels down  :821:
Also credit for taking the hit to the face and not getting any blood on the bike …. (unless its red - where it would be hard to tell  :005: )

If there is any visible damage to the helmet it should probably be changed / scrapped - unless it was just a glancing blow and took the visor - pretty sure this is universal advise especially if the hit was as hard as you suggest (pheasant is like a bag of sand !) - so I would say its taken an impact - and is the only thing that protects your head - which is the main part of you that`s tough to fix in hospital...

I think I would look at treating myself to a new one for surviving the attack anyway - if you were happy with it just replace - or if not try something new.

Rob

Offline Mumbo Jumbo

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 07:45:59 AM »
Cheers Rob, the helmet looks fine, the only visible damage is the visor. The visor took most of the blow.

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »
Sounds like should be ok with a new visor, to be sure remove the padding inside and if any cracking on the inner shell to the black bit will need replacing. This also cracks over time. Lucky to stay on the beast! Well done!

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:37:02 PM »
As long as the integrity of the shell doesn’t seem to be compromised I would go ahead with just replacing the visor and sticking with the helmet (unless you’re also looking for a reason to change helmets) 🧐😝
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 07:50:38 PM »
How’s the pheasant? (Well done for only the minor damage, could have been far worse I guess)

Offline rmh999

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 08:22:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Becksy [+]
How’s the pheasant? (Well done for only the minor damage, could have been far worse I guess)

Roasted I hope ... With some spring veg .....MMM tasty..or is that classed as poaching??

Offline Mumbo Jumbo

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 10:51:54 PM »
Mr Pheasant was as stunned as I was, probably more. I was 40 yards passed him when I stopped. He didn’t move for a while, I kept looking back at him and he started moving a little. After I’d got myself together and inspected the bike and the helmet a car went passed me and he’d gone. I guess he recovered to some degree and made it back into the hedge.

On closer inspection the helmet has a hairline crack below the visor so a new helmet is required. I like the helmet (Schuberth S2) so I may get another or the Neotec, there’s some good offers on last years model.

Offline rmh999

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:59:43 PM »
or the guy in the car that went past likes Roadkill ….

dysfunctional