Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Idea for 5 to 7 day trip  (Read 4208 times)

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
Idea for 5 to 7 day trip
« on: May 23, 2018, 08:26:53 PM »
 :148: So i’ve planned holidays to go on a trip with the missus on our new XR and this will be our first long bike journey.
We’re based in London and had a few ideas but I was looking maybe for some comments or suggestions from more experienced riders as I always had naked bikes before so never actually toured before.

Some ideas were:
- NorthCoast 500 (just worries about the 10h journey from London to Inverness)
- Some sort of itinerary to Snowdonia
- London - Munich

Look forward for your input   :440:
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Idea for 5 to 7 day trip
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 09:32:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by SAVAGEFOX [+]
:148: So i’ve planned holidays to go on a trip with the missus on our new XR and this will be our first long bike journey.
We’re based in London and had a few ideas but I was looking maybe for some comments or suggestions from more experienced riders as I always had naked bikes before so never actually toured before.

Some ideas were:
- NorthCoast 500 (just worries about the 10h journey from London to Inverness)
- Some sort of itinerary to Snowdonia
- London - Munich

Look forward for your input   :440:

Im off to Germany in two weeks. We go to Cochem set in the Eifel Mountains. I normally go about twice a year as its very easy to get to. Its on the banks of the Mosel River. Just a very short ride from the Nurbergring, and lots of great rides. Its about 320mls from Euro tunnel Calais using a direct route, with stops about 6hrs. We Normally do the outward trip in one hit, on the return we have a stop in France. This time we will use the 8am train outbound on the Friday and Get the 11am train return on the Tuesday. It makes a great short break. And you can choose how much riding you want to do once there. I can let you know of some great place`s to stay in Cochem. The town is a really popular stop for bikers, with lots of restaurants and bars all set on the River front.  :305: :305:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 09:35:36 PM by Bree »
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »
I’d keep it simple, smash out the Yorkshire dales my homeland then over to Whitby and north York moors! Awesome roads and easy for the Mrs as only 250 miles away

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »
I’d keep it simple as well with Snowdonia M4/Severn Bridge/Brecon and head north loads to do and a steady intro to travelling on a bike.

As for the others i’ve Some mate who did the 500 last year their quote ‘It was like the M25 there’s that many people doing it’

As for Germany yea it’s alright but if your going abroad our golden rule(unless it’s a bike race) is go south the rain is always warmer  :002:

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 08:57:49 AM »
 :435: Bloody dry weather Riders   :002:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
The Ardennes, Belgium and Luxembourg. Great roads, less traffic than Snowdonia, great beer and Castles.

I am off this afternoon :-)

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 12:43:16 PM »
SAVAGEFOX, myself and my partner are off to the Épinal near to Vosges in France in mid June to go play in the mountains for five days, it's about five to six hours from Calais so doable in a day with stops for fuel, coffees and lunch. If you want to go and play on twisty roads but not do a day's ride head over to Ardennes

I'd also suggest Normandy you can do New Haven to Dieppe it's a few hours on the boot, Caen is only like two hours or so from Dieppe and there are some very nice and cheap Hotels and if the weather is not so there is a good day out round Caen.

Lots of good roads to do in Normandy look for the D999 from Villedieu-les-Poêles to Saint-Hilaire-du-Harcouët.  Also if you've not been go do the Normandy Beaches worth a day out.

Don't get me wrong Scotland is God's own county and the scenery is second to the Alps just, but the midges are a pain everywhere unless you get very early June then the weather can be very hit and miss or rain and very heavy rain, that said 2015 we did it and I got sun burnt the first week of June so you just don't know.
Love doing Snowdonia but been there done that in in day's out from home "Leicester" also you have to watch for the cops like a hawk!

After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »
Actually yes if you have 7 days Vosges and the Black Forest is epic.

Or if you don't mind a long boat journey 7 days will give you 5 days Picos/Pyrenees if you don't mind a long Santandar ferry ride.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »
You guys need to read the OP’s post he/they havenever toured before better learn to walk first before they can run,blimey in 7 days they could get east of Prague where there really is some serious biking to had but not for those just starting out!!!

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »
Exactly why I don’t want to go to far and also not to do like a full days riding.
I’ve been riding for a few years now but never toured, so I’m looking to something not to far but something worth doing.
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS