Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Black Akrapovic baffle removal  (Read 1498 times)

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
Black Akrapovic baffle removal
« on: May 24, 2018, 11:36:52 PM »
Hi everyone, so as I’m waiting on my XR to be delivered I’m trying to get some info, it will come with the black Akrapovic as shown on he image, not sure which version but I suppose it will be the latest euro 4 compliant which is with a fixed baffle.

Any idea if it’s actuall possible to still remove it and how hard it would be or not possible at all?

Has anyone done it?

Because the previous version Euro 3 is with a removable baffle
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
Re: Black Akrapovic baffle removal
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 05:53:07 AM »
Options are, drill through the spot weld where the internal bolt goes, or get a socket tap the baffle in a bit then pull out.
I tapped too much so got stuck!  :172:
So I got an exhaust expander, slid it in expanded keeping the nice circle then using some wood and wire coat hanger yanked it a couple times and straight out no issues!
There is a video on you tube of a Spanish chap doing it, which I can’t find sorry!

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • It's all good...
  • Town: Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 12:09:03 PM »
And... why would you want to that ???
Trying to understand the reason...  :187: (besides, because I can!)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:11:29 PM by serge1966 »
Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »
I would like to hear the sound difference and choose which one would be more adequate to commute in the busy roads of London.
I’ve had an akra before in my MT-07 and it made a good difference for other drivers to notice me.

Never got around to change the exhaust on my single R as they are considerably more expensive, but this year in my dealer I was invited for an event with 50% off all accessories when ordering a new bike and I got the black  Akrapovic, top case, back rest, panniers set, BMW Navigator 6 and crash bars for half price at around £1700
Previous bikes:
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 02:02:47 PM »
Noticeable difference but looks soooooo much better
Simple things in life

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 11:15:14 PM »
Hey everyone, in regards to this, I have a mechanic that will do it for £25, so by just the simple lack of proper tools, I decided that if I do it, it will be through him (and I’m very keen to do it next week,

The only question I have is, obviously that if i do it, I forfeit the warranty as it is a Euro4 non removable baffle, but as I’m very inexperienced in mechanics,

what is the warranty on an end can for? (Apart from the obvious as I know what a warranty is  :150: )

What can go wrong with an end can to make me use the warranty?

And what are the chances of anything happening to it?

My experience with Akra is great build quality and I haven’t heard anyone complaining about any issues.
Previous bikes:
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 11:57:44 PM »
I am not entirely sure that you are forfeiting your warranty on the Akra can, but rather on the motor! Having owned bikes in both the UK and US, I get the distinct feeling that there is a lot more leeway here in the US as far as modifications go, and how they affect warranty (and insurance for that matter). I was always worried in the UK that the insurance company would blame me being T-boned on having an aftermarket end can and then tossing out my insurance claim. I had similar feeling with warranty and the dealership.

I have just installed the full Akra system (with black end can) and I will be removing the baffle.

Offline Gairo

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: South Staffs
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 08:04:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by SAVAGEFOX [+]
Hey everyone, in regards to this, I have a mechanic that will do it for £25, so by just the simple lack of proper tools, I decided that if I do it, it will be through him (and I’m very keen to do it next week,

The only question I have is, obviously that if i do it, I forfeit the warranty as it is a Euro4 non removable baffle, but as I’m very inexperienced in mechanics,

what is the warranty on an end can for? (Apart from the obvious as I know what a warranty is  :150: )

What can go wrong with an end can to make me use the warranty?

And what are the chances of anything happening to it?

My experience with Akra is great build quality and I haven’t heard anyone complaining about any issues.

Hey bud, In regards to the removal of the baffle, I chiselled out the spot weld on the Akrapovic can on my old Honda VFR, if it’s done properly then there’s nothing to stop you reusing the baffle and simply pop it back in when you want to, there’s next to nothing to go wrong with an Akrapovic exhaust so the chances of having to claim on warranty are slim to none. I was unlucky enough to get rear ended by another bike in Switzerland while on tour last year which bent the casing and the link pipe but he paid to have it re-sleeved by a UK based company near Blackpool rather than go through insurance, it was like new when I received it back so I had no complaints. The reason I mentioned this was because I too had removed the baffle and the marks left by the removal of the spot weld made it obvious that the baffle had effectively been a non removable one and that made me anxious in regards to any insurance claim but I was told that if I went down that route then it was highly unlikely to make any difference to the claim, at least that’s what what my local Honda dealer told me :152:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I am not entirely sure that you are forfeiting your warranty on the Akra can, but rather on the motor!

This might be a silly question but as I mention I’m not that big on mechanics,

Why would it affect the engine warranty?

I actually didn’t specify in my insurance policy the end can, because it came fitted from the dealer, from my understanding, the insurance will cover it without any issue as it was fitted as an optional extra item from BMW themselves (I bought mine from park lane which is the bike dealer that is owned by BMW themselves) as it also comes on their website and brochures that you can purchase the bike from stock with the Akra end can...

Also the euro3 is removable baffle and it doesn’t affect engine, only noise (maybe emissions?) from my understanding, so that’s why I assume the Euro4 and 3 are the same with only one difference, a spot weld instead of a screw. So by removing the baffle on a euro 4 I only interfere with the end can and not the rest of the bike?

Is this safe to assume?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 09:42:13 AM by SAVAGEFOX »
Previous bikes:
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

dysfunctional