Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sport model questions (non SE)  (Read 4059 times)

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Nottingham
Sport model questions (non SE)
« on: August 23, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »
Hi All,

I just wondered how many people on the forum have gone for the Sport model and not the SE?

I wondered what you thought of the suspension and whether the spring rates are suitable for heavier riders (riders plus pillion) also what sort of adjustment they have (remote preload on the rear for instance?)

I only ask as bmw didn't exactly leave much room in the adjustment of the s1000r suspension as anybody remotely heavy is at maximum adjustment to get in range where ddc works properly.

Also would you mind confirming what is missing from the SE version other than fancy suspension?

I'm under the impression that it's missing the below :

Gold forks - black on sport modelling?
Hand guards? - these I believe are widely available from other models
Pannier hangers? - I'd never use them
Rear rack? - but replaced with grab handles and rack available separately
Centre stand? - had one on the multistrada and removed it so no loss
Bmw nav v set up - already use a simple sat nav on iPhone so not required

Anything else?

Does it still have:

cruise control?
Heated grips?
All engine modes and TC control?
QS pro (up & down box)?
Abs cornering?

The chap in the dealers yesterday seemed to keep needing to confirm stuff when I wanted to talk about this particular model and so I'd rather hear from somebody who's actually purchased one.

Cheers and would appreciate your help with this

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Belfast
Re: Sport model questions (non SE)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:05:52 PM »
My sport is due next week, my dealer told me he expected to sell more sports than anything else but the majority have gone for the s.e.... I tried the e.s.a on the demo and couldn't notice much difference tbh, I will never fit panniers or need a centre stand so the spot made sense...

I did spec the sat nav prep on mine which is 180 and dealer did it for 100 quid so was happy there... The sport does come with handguards. The only two things I really wanted was heated grips and the quickshifter and I got both on the sport so was happy enough....

Expected delivery is no later than 1st week of September but could be sooner... Non e.s.a is still manually adjustable and I thought once it's set I won't ever touch it, e.s.a. Or not so I couldn't justify it.... I'm sure it's nice to have but Im happy with my choice

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:07:17 PM »
Edit yeah she still has all things you have listed, also l.e.d indicators and handguards

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:16:50 PM »
Also imo the black forks look much better...  You may have seen a picture of a standard model, it doesn't have any handguards but the sport does

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 06:18:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by johnboy1984 [+]
Edit yeah she still has all things you have listed, also l.e.d indicators and handguards

Cheers johnboy, so that's a definite on the hand guards then and led indicators?

Hope so as I'm the same as you, just give me a quick shifter, TC and heated grips and I'm golden.

Also do you happen to know if its got a remote preload adjuster on the rear as opposed to needing spanners every time the mrs gets on?

It's just the chap i spoke to seemed to not really know and he came back saying it was missing all those bits.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:54:01 PM by damodici »

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:46:01 PM »
I don't know mate,  the way I look at it for all the many times she is gonna be on the back of mine I don't mind using a spanner... Its the only time I'd ever use the electronic one tbh.... There's another guy on here got his sport last week...  He reported back and said the suspension was bang on... Here is his picture He posted... As you can see, handguards are on her....  The s.e has rack, pannier handles,  centre stand and e.s.a on top of what the sport already has... I think when I totalled it up you save about 200 on it all buying the s.e as opposed to buying individual... E.s.a is about 700 quid on its own...

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 08:11:48 PM »
Top man

Cheers

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 08:15:37 PM »
Well I questioned the sales guy again today to clarify sport model spec and he's still adamant that there's no hand guards and that'll cost me £70 :)

That's nice of them isn't it

Offline johnboy1984

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 09:44:37 PM »
If he isnt peared to chuck in a set of handguards id talk to another dealer.... I bought mine in Belfast , but spoke to Allan Jeffries BMW in England before hand, they had offered to beat whatever deal I was offered locally . I got 80 quid knocked off my sat nav prep, and Jeffries would have beat it again, they were very helpful . But its new to me about the hanguards, considering the picture above is a sport just days old, id say hes wrong... if it has heated grips, it will have handguards.

dysfunctional