Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cam chain tensioner - plunger friction ??  (Read 2095 times)

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
Cam chain tensioner - plunger friction ??
« on: June 01, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
I have decided to change the black end cap to the silver end cap on my XR as the standard 2 sec rattle is there, then it goes quieter, but after a hours riding, it's back again. I haven't got the cap yet (tomorrow), but it's stripped down and ready to be inserted.
BUT.............
Upon squeezing the plunger, it is not a smooth action. It's meeting alot of resistance (not just the spring), and friction after about 8 to 10mm of travel. You can feel it moving roughly within the bore, and it makes a sort of scraping noise. I'm sure this isn't right. Anyone else ever sqeezed their plunger (!!), and found this resistance?

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Cam chain tensioner - plunger friction ??
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 05:02:24 PM »
Yep mine was the same, But I lubricated it before installing and it was better.
One word of warning, when fitting there is a hell of a lot of resistance from the spring. And it it quite hard to get the first turn on the thread. This is where you must take care, because it is really easy to cross thread the plunger, so just make sure that it screws in smoothly. if it does not screw in smoothly, then do not tighten but remove and start again. I dread to think what the outcome would be if it was cross threaded, as its into the main engine block....
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:13:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Yep mine was the same, But I lubricated it before installing and it was better.
One word of warning, when fitting there is a hell of a lot of resistance from the spring.

Cheers for that. I'll make sure it's well lubed!! And take even more care fitting it. Did you take the plunger apart at all?

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 07:44:50 PM »
No I just lubricated the plunger. I am sure that the plunger is the same size, but the silver cap is not so deep, this gives a lot more tension on the plunger spring. I do remember that the old plunger felt like it was grating inside, but that appears to be normal. I fitted mine a few months back now. And it has been no problem with no start up noise so all is good....

Online smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »
Just fit a manual tensioner and be done with it....set and forget. Mine has done 8000km since I fitted it.... and I  have adjusted it once in that time.

Smithy
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:00:13 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 11:34:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Just fit a manual tensioner and be done with it....set and forget. Mine has done 8000km since I fitted it.... and I  have adjusted it once in that time.

Who sells these manual adjusters, either in the UK or Europe?

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »
That is another option, But once fitted the standard one works fine.   

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 02:22:03 PM »
Just picked up the silver adjuster cap, going to fit it after a brew :-)

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 02:33:24 PM »
Let us know how you get on.   :305: :305: :305:

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »
Well it went in quite easily. But it was hard to figure out how to apply the extra pressure and turn the thing at the same time. The key is to remove the plunger and screw the new head in until the initial thread starts to engage, then unwind it ever so slightly until you can just withdraw the new head with no threads engaged. Note a point on the head, and when you finally insert the plunger, ensure that "that" point is at the same position as it was when you withdrew it. that way, there's minimum turning under pressure required to get it to engage. It just bit, then went on smoothly, just a bit tougher than finger tight, but loose enough to tell me it wasn't cross threaded.
Everything back on and started it up. 1-2 sec rattle then quieter. It needs a long run, which I may get chance to do tomorrow, but it's sounding (scuse the pun) hopeful  :001: