Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre fitting question  (Read 2534 times)

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
Re: Tyre fitting question
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 01:27:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by skapan [+]
Bead breaker issue, the side of the wheel closest to the machine, wheel too deep into the breaker and the lip of the rim hangs free, is pushed in by the breaker shoe. These rims are soft compared to an air cylinder.  Maybe I'm all wrong on this, but I signed off on other people changing my tires when I bought a NoMar. At least now I know who to blame.

Would that not have pushed the rim inwards and not outwards ?

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 02:25:43 PM »
It's the inner side of the wheel (second bead) that gets pushed too far in, that causes it to bend out.  Have a look at the machine in operation, you'll see what I mean.

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 02:34:39 PM »
Relating it to my bead breaker I can't see how it could happen, so struggling.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »
Just watched half a dozen done this afternoon at a push you might be able to bend the rim in but not out because it’s up against a buffer to stop it moving and again if it did it would be in not out.

Non of which is helped by the fact that BMW couldn’t make a decent wheel so long as they got a hole in their corperate ass,I was having wheels changed on a recall in the early 80’s on my R100RS and the back wheel on my 1100s went the same way,as I said in the other post made from Camel Shct.

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 08:43:40 PM »
I know, hard to imagine without pictures. Can't say anything more without repeating myself. What's done is done, get it fixed and more on.  I'm all for the 2x4 method using a good whack with a hammer, although the real fixers use a nice fixture with a hydraulic ram.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 08:11:21 AM »
So what was the end result?

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Brierley Hill
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 10:43:59 AM »
End result is I will never use Addison tyres again
Fitter said oh I don’t know how I didn’t get the back wheel correct I’m sorry but I will sort it now said they could sort front  wheel for 60 quid instead of 86 which included heating up rim with a blow torch and hitting it with a hammer which took a couple of inches of paint off
But they do offer a full refurb service for 80 quid if I take wheel over
There is no way they could have bent my wheel but ducked it by straightening it but did manage to spray it up myself and can’t really see it now but what a bunch of twats gaffer couldn’t even look me in the face when talking to me I even instructed his fitter how to ensure back wheel is always pushed forward against the adjusters
Useless

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2018, 11:05:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by Waynexr1000 [+]

Pretty crap job all round. Looks like too much force with a tyre lever. You are going to need a new wheels which is c£500. I always stand over them when they fit my tyres and invite them to  inspect them before they fit the tyres to avoid arguments. Doubt they will buy you a new wheel.  Good luck.

:305:
PSH

Offline Waynexr1000

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Brierley Hill
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 12:25:07 AM »
Wheel is as straight as before now tyre sits ok so will worry about when it’s oart exchange time 😂

dysfunctional