Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Track Day insurance/ track day set up/ tyre pressures  (Read 784 times)

Offline Vengeance

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: BARNET
Track Day insurance/ track day set up/ tyre pressures
« on: June 04, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »
Is there a thread showing what tyre pressures owners are using with the S1000XR as i am doing a track day next week.

Also I would be interested to hear about your experiences with the S1000xr on a track day at the Snetterton circuit & how you set your bike up, ie removing mirrors , taping headlights etc

Please reply if you took out track day insurance or your thoughts ,recommendations/experiences for track day insurance.

Offline MattR

• Forum Help & Support
  • XR Pro
  • Administrator
Re: Track Day insurance/ track day set up/ tyre pressures
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 05:22:47 PM »
You mentioned a week or two ago that you were getting new tyres. Did you get them ?

Only reason I mention it is because they have a good chance of getting toasted on a track day if the pressure are not within range.

Have you done a track day before ? If not, then suggest you go out on stock pressures at first in order to get used to it. In the next session and as you get faster slowly drop the pressures in 2 psi increments. Overall, probably a 4-6 psi drop would be fine but some go quite a bit lower e.g F28 and R32-34. You'll need to find whats comfortable for you whilst inspecting the tyre at the end of each session. Bare in mind that the suspension settings (and how you ride) will also influence the heat cycle in the tyre so don't assume it's just about pressures.

If you are unsure what your tyre is showing then maybe ask one of the more experience track day riders to take a peep at them after a session.

Offline Vengeance

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 06:11:21 PM »
Hi

Yes i have had the Conti road attack 3 fitted last week now and been on them for a few days now .

good advice thank you , much appreciated 

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 06:32:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Vengeance [+]
Hi

Yes i have had the Conti road attack 3 fitted last week now and been on them for a few days now .

good advice thank you , much appreciated

I do regular track days at Snetterton ( not on my xr I hasten to add ) it is great track to get experience on as it is very wide. with plenty of space to move around. There is a tyre guy there, who will put you absolutely straight. As to what to run your tyre at on the day. ( As track temperatures will be a big factor ) I personally would not run my road bike on track for obvious reasons. But you can get track day Insurance and if you are going to risk such a big investment then I would go down that route.  Have a great day and let us know how you get on.   :305: :305: :305:   
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Vengeance

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »
Great advice again & really appreciate the insights,

I am 100% sure i will be taking track insurance from Moris for the day & want to use my XR as i want to gain the experience & grow in confidence as learn what the bike can & what it has has to offer on the track relative to my riding ability as i cant get to fully understand what this bike can do out on the open over congested roads,
 :157:

Offline MattR

• Forum Help & Support
  • XR Pro
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 07:30:15 PM »
I'm not sure how much the insurance is but I've seen many an incident which has ended in tears. It only needs a small off and it could be a very expensive day out. Doesn't matter how careful you are, quite often it's some stupid idiot that takes everyone out.  :191:

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 10:14:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matt [+]
I'm not sure how much the insurance is but I've seen many an incident which has ended in tears. It only needs a small off and it could be a very expensive day out. Doesn't matter how careful you are, quite often it's some stupid idiot that takes everyone out.  :191:

I fully agree with what Matt says. My last two offs were down to being taken out by other riders. Hence my reluctance to use a Road bike.
Luckily both times the Damage was repairable on a track day bike, but would have been horrendous on your road bike...
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Online bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 07:06:47 AM »
I love my trackdays (Was at brands GP yesterday) I would not however rely on me being the sensible one keeping it out of the gravel.

I feel much more likely to be taken out by another rider than I do by making a mistake myself. I had contact with another rider in Cartegena early this year, he out braked himself behind me and came steaming past in the 3" I left between me and the rumble strip. Luckily he went into the gravel and I didn't.

I have tracked road bikes I would not like to see damaged, but always was glad when it safe and sound.

That said I love trackdays and have done 3 euros this year with another two booked late in the year.

I have downsized my trackbike now too, riding an 82bhp 2016 European Junior cup CBR650f. I have not had as much fun in years and I am really having to learn how to ride it to get any thing like a good laptime :-)

dysfunctional