Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Extended warranty  (Read 7233 times)

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Extended warranty
Reply #30 on: January 19, 2021, 09:19:03 PM
If we were talking K1200’s then you may have a point...I’ve had my K1200r Sport over 10 years and the first 5 ran it on an extended warranty...and needed it, but.... on an X/R??? Really, hardly surprising no one is interested you’ve a better chance of being struck by lightening than having anything major going pop.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 07:51:50 AM
I have two leaking inlet valves at 28K miles, not gone pop, but I bet it was way down on power if I had put it on a dyno. So I don't think its fair to say these bikes don't have problems.

They also have issues with ignition barrels, switch gear, fork seals and cams.

Offline Winger

• XR God
Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 11:03:07 AM
Mate there’s a difference between the odd lemon and a duff model...i’ve Only bumped into one when Triumph introduced their new Tiger 885i....my first one lasted 6 weeks, after handbags at dawn I had another....the dealer at the time was very good and had already warned me Triumph realised their where issues... I was even told ‘For god sake if the bike goes over while the motor is running turn the the dam thing off cuz it’ll hydraulic itself...I never trusted it and neither did Triumph because with 18 months of the 885i launch they introduced the 955i...they look similar the motors are nothing like and I still have mine.

When looking at K1200s/r...found out when the model was launched in September 04 every press bike went back to Germany they were that bad, they re launched in 05 an absolute heap of junk or be it a very fast one, i’d Be typing all day to list the things that went wrong, I bought mine in 07 and while BM has done some modifications the clutch was still that problematic the dealer would ask me if I wanted 10/40 or 5/40 oil because of the clutch....I had two in mine before a ‘fix’ appeared(after 2 years)and was then told 5/40 only.

The saving grace for us Brits, when we had the Sterling crash in 08, the Euro bike dealers came over and bought the majority for peanuts, still laugh about being in Vines and them telling me about a trader turning up with two seven and half ton lorries, wandered round the show room pointing at bikes he wanted, they asked him about paying they took him down the bank for money transfer and off he went.

After my waffle this X/R ain’t no dud, their might be the odd duffer but until 30/40 turn up all with the same problem....

Online Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 11:06:09 AM
 :0461:  bazzer.  And don't forget water pumps....
Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 11:08:21 AM by Speedy
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2018 BMW R1200RT Carbon Black Metallic - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 11:27:42 AM
Yes and water pumps :-)

I am not claiming they are duffers, just they are not without issues, I love mine and I just see it as part an parcel of running a bike.

The ignition barrel and switch gear issue is common across RR, R and even GS.

The fork seals are very common too and there have been more than a few cam shaft issues. On a possitive note my cams were fine :-)

Its a great bike, just daft to pretend they are a Honda :-D

Online Speedy

• XR Pro
Reply #35 on: January 28, 2021, 02:31:02 PM
So, another thought on this....

Let's say I have one covered repair in however long I own the bike that it's out of factory warranty (years 4-8).  And assume that repair is something minor like fork seals.  No idea what that repair might cost, but at $125/hr, I'd say $500 is pretty darn conservative.  Then, when I go to resell the bike with maybe 2yr of transferable warranty remaining, I'm certain I'll get $300-$500 more for my bike versus the exact same used XR without a warranty, because that's actually less than the premium I'd be comfortable with buying a technology filled used bike with a good warranty in place. 

So, at that point the warranty has basically paid for itself (1 repair + resale value enhancement).  Then you have to consider the peace of mind I will have had for 3yrs as well as any other benefits that I might have used like roadside assistance, trip interruption, etc.

For me it makes sense, maybe not for everyone though I understand.  I get the argument that the warranty company is a business and they've done the math and the house usually wins.  But like most things in life, there are trade-offs we make everyday.  At full price, I probably would have passed, but at the discounted purchase price of $962, the actual/perceived benefits outweighed the costs for me...YMMV

Offline Crosshairs

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
Reply #36 on: January 28, 2021, 06:41:56 PM
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
So, another thought on this....

Let's say I have one covered repair in however long I own the bike that it's out of factory warranty (years 4-8).  And assume that repair is something minor like fork seals.  No idea what that repair might cost, but at $125/hr, I'd say $500 is pretty darn conservative.  Then, when I go to resell the bike with maybe 2yr of transferable warranty remaining, I'm certain I'll get $300-$500 more for my bike versus the exact same used XR without a warranty, because that's actually less than the premium I'd be comfortable with buying a technology filled used bike with a good warranty in place. 

So, at that point the warranty has basically paid for itself (1 repair + resale value enhancement).  Then you have to consider the peace of mind I will have had for 3yrs as well as any other benefits that I might have used like roadside assistance, trip interruption, etc.

For me it makes sense, maybe not for everyone though I understand.  I get the argument that the warranty company is a business and they've done the math and the house usually wins.  But like most things in life, there are trade-offs we make everyday.  At full price, I probably would have passed, but at the discounted purchase price of $962, the actual/perceived benefits outweighed the costs for me...YMMV

As someone who works in a dealership, I see on a daily basis people finding out the hard way their aftermarket warranty is not worth the paper its printed on....
I normally  tell all my customers, buy an OEM warranty , yes its more money but its almost always worth it...now, that being said, I know nothing about the one you bought....do you have a list of whats covered and whats not ?  If its a good policy , at $962.00 you did very well.

Offline Winger

• XR God
Reply #37 on: January 28, 2021, 07:09:13 PM
The one I had on my k1200 was OE, I had 3 clutch’s in it before it got sorted among other things... but never even though about such on the X/R.

Online Speedy

• XR Pro
Reply #38 on: January 28, 2021, 07:13:26 PM
There are no BMW extended warranties available in the US to my knowledge.

What I bought is an exclusionary warranty sold by many BMW dealers around the country - Riders Advantage.  So it lists only what is not covered.  Everything else is covered.

Here are the parts/systems not covered according to the contract:

Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:15:34 PM by Speedy

Online Speedy

• XR Pro
Reply #39 on: January 28, 2021, 07:23:09 PM
I understand that I'm not going to convince someone who doesn't want/like extended warranties to buy one.  THAT IS NOT THE POINT OF MY POSTS IN THIS THREAD!

I learn a lot from forums such as this and the RT and FZ forums I participate in, so I'm trying to give back some info I have learned outside the forum.  Everyone is welcome to do whatever you want with my experience as I'm sharing it here.  Buy, don't buy, I truly don't care.  But if you do buy, I hope you will use what I'm sharing from my experiences and somehow get a better deal than you might otherwise have.

dysfunctional