Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Garmin 590 fitting instructions  (Read 1783 times)

Online Mally

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Nr Milton Keynes
Garmin 590 fitting instructions
« on: June 07, 2018, 06:40:22 PM »
Hi guys
I have just got my XR, but didn't buy the BMW satnav as I already have a Zumo 590. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the pre-installed satnav mount. I looked at trying to remove the cable where it attached to the base of the mount and swap them over, but the screws on the 590 are like pinheads and no way I can undo them. So I need to remove the fitted holder and re-wire my 590 into the bike.
My question is, has anyone else done this before and can give me any guidance as to where I wire it into the bike and any problems they came across? I believe there is a connector under the left hand fairing. How do I remove the fairing? Anything else I need to be aware of?
Pictures of the connectors and their position would help as well, if possible.

Many thanks for your help and experience, guys.

Mally

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: Garmin 590 fitting instructions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 08:34:38 PM »
my advice - sell your Zumo and buy the BMW one, its expensive but good and is designed to work with the bike - no other satnav will work as well   :305:
PSH

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • It's all good...
  • Town: Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 01:03:16 AM »

*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
my advice - sell your Zumo and buy the BMW one, its expensive but good and is designed to work with the bike - no other satnav will work as well   :305:

:028: agree with what Paul said...
Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Online Mally

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 06:41:28 AM »
In the long term, yes, I agree that is what I may do, but at this moment in time I have to prioritise what I spend my pennies on. I have my eye on other 'toys' which I'd like to get first, while making do with my current satnav for now.
Thanks for your comments, though.

Mally

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 01:02:57 PM »
If you've searched and found no other posts on installing the 590 then its likely you are the first.
Removing the fairings screws is easy enough but there are a lot of tabs that can break during the process.
If you aren't confident working it out and plan to mod the bike, I would suggest buying a repair manual.
The Haynes version has very detailed section on bodywork removal - wiring diagrams have pin numbers but no other connector info.
I need to return some videotapes.

Online Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »
Mally the BMW satnav working with the wheel on the handle bar, I know what you mean I had a Zumo 590 and a 660 when I got my XR sold the Zumo 590 and did a bit of a deal with the dealer on the sat nav 5.  They are running at £300 to £450
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 01:39:27 PM »
No, I have a 595 and replaced the BMW mount with the Garmin one.

1- Remove the BMW mount from the clamp around the NAV bar.

2- Use Torx T6 to open the BMW mount and the Garmin mount, be careful.

3- Switch the cables(don't lose small clip), leave the big plug aside, only use small one with red/black wire.

4- Close the mounts, pay attention to making the mount water resistant again with silicon.

Easy job, and 590/595 software way much better then 395 software which actually the BMW one is.

Some where on GS adventure forum there is description with pictures to open the mount, cannot find it right now, sorry

Online Mally

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 08:42:27 PM »
I came across this web page that explains how to remove the fairings  from the bike

https://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-s1000xr-fairing-panel-removal/

and this one which wasn't a massive help, but you take from it what you need

http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/20-gps-info/27385-gps-install-garmin-zumo-595lm-2012-r1200gs.html

I took the left side fairing off simply by removing one screw and pulling (carefully) away from the bike as it has 6 pull away sockets. This exposed enough for me to see where the wiring went for the sat nav mount. I took pics but they're too big too upload at the moment, so i'll need to resize them at some stage.
The satnav lead comes down to two sockets/connectors. One doesn't appear to be wired to anything, so I take it that could well be for the handlebar controller (I'm not sure), the other would be to the bike power.
My question is, does anyone know the specific connector I need to wire to my satnav to connect to one of these connectors and where I can get one from?
There is also what looks like another spare connector close by. Anyone any idea if I'm right in assuming that it is spare?
I know this may upset the purists by me fitting a non-BMW satnav, but the Navigator 5 or 6 are costing anything between £300 - £550 and on top of that I would need to buy a car mount costing another £80+. The difference in what the Navigator can do compared to my Garmin 590 is negligible for my personal needs. The 590 has served me well for all my biking needs so if I have a spare £600 I'd rather spend it on my next flight to Thailand!

Thanks for your help, guys, and hopefully this thread can help others in the future

Mally

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 08:45:29 PM »
You can re-use the BMW powercable.
Be careful using the on board sockets, some are 5V and some are 12V.

*Originally Posted by Mally [+]
I came across this web page that explains how to remove the fairings  from the bike

https://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-s1000xr-fairing-panel-removal/

and this one which wasn't a massive help, but you take from it what you need

http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/20-gps-info/27385-gps-install-garmin-zumo-595lm-2012-r1200gs.html

I took the left side fairing off simply by removing one screw and pulling (carefully) away from the bike as it has 6 pull away sockets. This exposed enough for me to see where the wiring went for the sat nav mount. I took pics but they're too big too upload at the moment, so i'll need to resize them at some stage.
The satnav lead comes down to two sockets/connectors. One doesn't appear to be wired to anything, so I take it that could well be for the handlebar controller (I'm not sure), the other would be to the bike power.
My question is, does anyone know the specific connector I need to wire to my satnav to connect to one of these connectors and where I can get one from?
There is also what looks like another spare connector close by. Anyone any idea if I'm right in assuming that it is spare?
I know this may upset the purists by me fitting a non-BMW satnav, but the Navigator 5 or 6 are costing anything between £300 - £550 and on top of that I would need to buy a car mount costing another £80+. The difference in what the Navigator can do compared to my Garmin 590 is negligible for my personal needs. The 590 has served me well for all my biking needs so if I have a spare £600 I'd rather spend it on my next flight to Thailand!

Thanks for your help, guys, and hopefully this thread can help others in the future

Mally

Online Mally

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 09:01:47 PM »
I'm not sure I follow, Johnny.
On the satnav mount, the only screws on it are exceptionally tiny, so swapping the mount and re-using the cable seems an impossible task just taking it apart. I'm looking to use my 590 mount and connected cable, but connect that cable to the bike, preferably to the connector currently used by the BMW mount.

Regarding the other connectors, how can I tell which is a 5v socket  and which are 12v? (I'm not very skilled electrically!!)

Mally

dysfunctional