Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Instrument Cluster saga  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Martyn B

• XR Pro
  • Sultan of Bling
  • Bike: S1000XR SE 2018
  • Town: Melksham, Wilts
Instrument Cluster saga
« on: June 10, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
When I bought my SE back in March, it quickly became apparent that the clock didn't work. When I talked to the dealer they had just received notification from BMW of a dodgy batch of instrument clusters which cause various issues and mine was one of them.

Four months later I'm still waiting for a replacement... Not good enough methinks. :232:

Motorrad is hiding behind "supplier problems" and leaving it to the dealer to grovel to me. They should be managing their suppliers and communicating directly with their dissatisfied customers. OK, it doesn't stop me riding the bike, but to me this is bad Customer Service. Or am I just a whinging Pom?
What a long strange trip it's been...

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
Re: Instrument Cluster saga
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »
No, I have the same issue on a one week old bike.
The sales manager at BMW Park Lane in London, Harry,  has told me yesterday that the cluster is an ongoing  issue and that several bikes are affected and he has a list of clients in our situation awaiting for a replacement, and no ETA on the clusters.

True or not he said that it was a production line that affects a specific target market that serves the uk, Australia  and a few other countries, he believes it to be mainly the ones using miles combined with the standard metric.

Me question is, wouldn’t the same cluster be used for the single and double R as well? Is so would would there not be already spare clusters? Or are the other models affected as well?

It is very frustrating that after getting a 20K bike, something as simple as a clock, does not work.
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Martyn B

• XR Pro
  • Sultan of Bling
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »
That's interesting SavageFox - I actually have a provisional ETA of late July for an August swap-out . We'll see coz nothing you have put in your posting gives me any optimism!

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »
Well they did mention something about 2 - 3 months for a possible swap but nothing concrete... which leaves me to wonder.

Coming from a near faultless S1000R, that I had for 2 years, I’m a bit worried about the XR.
Previous bikes:
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline tor

• XR Member
  • Norwegian Viking
  • Bike: 18 XR / 15 GSA
  • Town: Pee Dee of SC
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 12:47:17 AM »
I've had a dead clock since I bought the bike new a couple of months ago. I happened to talk with the service manager at my dealership today. They are "expecting" replacement clusters some time in July........um,,,,,this year  :046:

Offline Martyn B

• XR Pro
  • Sultan of Bling
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 05:39:41 AM »
Apparently "the fix" is for the UK and USA to ditch miles and adopt kilometers as the defacto unit of measure...  :745:

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 09:49:29 AM »
Exactly what I said before  :001:

But my problem with this is, why are not all bikes affected?

Had a single R for 2 years with no issues, and is it so hard for them to produce new clusters that work if they already did
Previous bikes:
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 03:03:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by SAVAGEFOX [+]
Me question is, wouldn’t the same cluster be used for the single and double R as well?

I don't believe the clusters are all the same, they may look similar...but the RR has totally different rpm range and the R, (although they share an engine with the XR), doesn't have all the suspension settings etc the XR has....so there must be some differences between them all along with ECU differences.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 03:07:51 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 09:28:03 AM »
I know, but not all the XR are affected,
Previous bikes:
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 01:16:26 PM »
It does appear to be just a few bikes that are effected. My 2015 has had no problems at all, so I suppose its just bad luck that you have a faulty one.  :305: :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

dysfunctional