Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Vosges 2018  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
Vosges 2018
« on: June 13, 2018, 06:45:49 PM »
Day 1 (13/06/18)

Everything packed up and ready to go!

Having escaped work early, “sorry for the swearing in the first thee words but I needed to grab your attention” we headed out of Leicester at just after 2pm the weather is fine and dry, to avoid doing all the M1 we head down the A5199 to Northampton and onto the A5 and get onto the bottom of the M1 then M25, quick splash and dash at South mim’s for both me and the bike ;-)

Then back onto the M25 the traffic was quite light we did need to do quite a bit of filtering, then over the QEII bridge the traffic was very light then headed down the M20 to Junction 9 and on to the first Hotel of the six days’ sprint to the Vosges mountains in France and back. 

More Thursday form Epinal.
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • It's all good...
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
Re: Vosges 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 10:24:21 PM »
Looks like you're in for some good weather (at least till the weekend)... and some awesome roads  :305:
And enjoy the local hospitality  :063:
Looking forward to reading about your trip  :028:
Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:32:05 AM »
We normally catch an early even ferry and hotel in Calais and loose the hour in our sleep makes for a far better day setting off from the other side.

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:42:57 AM »
Just got a speeding fine from Luxembourg from our last trip. Be aware the trigger for a camera is only 3kph above the posted limit.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 05:44:31 PM »
Day 2 (14/06/18)

Up early a few minutes after 05:30 pack the pans and put them on the bike, such an easy system one key done.  Very light rain almost unnoticeable, we head off to the Eurotunnel, as we arrive there’s a line of about 100 Porsche’s all lined up for the off to Le Mans, looked like they had all paid for the express check in or not so if 100 cars arrive at once you know what’s going to happen. 

After the ridiculous trip around the car park we start to queue for the UK passport then the French passport check-in, in what was the typical Gallic style the boarder guard just waved us through which was good as we’d just spent the best part of twenty minutes sat in the queue just to get to the UK passport control. 

Arr course Le Mans week that’s why it’s rammed.   

Only a few minutes late and onto the train, the normal thing all the bikes together, quick chat with the couple on the Triumph 1050 explorer they’re are off to Le Mann camping, we giggle and say do you not like sleep or washing?  We did the bike 24 some years back, four days with very little sleep and for sure no showers I’m sure they’ll love it all be it the car’s. 

We disembark arr into France the weather is much like it was in the UK sort of raining and we’re off well to the first fuel stop, as we arrive the station is shut with a note saying “rupture Sans Diesel/ Essence” great ok Sat Nav find me fuel get to the next one and the same thing what’s going on here!  A few miles down the road we find a fuel station that’s open and with fuel great we hit the A26 and head to Reims. 

After two hours or so time for coffee and a break for a bit few more miles and we get off the A26 and head for Nancy on the N4 then onto the A31.

At least the sun is now trying to break through and the temperature is up to a nice 22c.  We stop just before Nancy for more coffee and fuel quick twenty-minute stop and back on the A31! Ok very board now of the straight roads, still things will get better after today. 

We arrive at the Hotel in Epinal at 16:45 not bad at all with three fuel stops and two coffee stops.  Checked in and the nice lady says that the bike park is free in the underground carpark, you have to love that.  I checked the miles just 538 miles from home we're feeling not too bad for two days motorway riding.

The mountains for the next four days so fun to be had.

One last thing, the underground car park is now full of bikes from the UK and Netherlands one of the guys is on a white XR.
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
Day 3 (15/06/18)

We were a bit tired or (fatigué) in the local lingo, we whimped out and ate in the Hotel, I know we Just could not be bothered to go and find a restaurant, we’re staying in an IBIS and the food was quite good.   

As we’d had two long’ish days we had a slow start, it was the order of the day, once we surfaced I popped down for some coffee.

The weather is holding at a nice 19 to 23c with zero percent chance of rain we decided not to plan a route and just go where the road took us so forgive the vague nature of the route but I’ll be posting some video next week once we’re home and I have access to my video editing software.  At one point we did end up in a town called Luxeuil-les-Bains for coffee and an hour or so off the bike.  We headed back North towards Saint-Dié up the D430, please don’t ask how we got to that road we just did. 

All in all we did just over 140 miles of great roads.  We are now sat outside in the Hotel bar having an aperitif before going and finding out what’s going on in the town tonight as there seems to be some sort of street party on in the town tonight.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 11:23:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Just got a speeding fine from Luxembourg from our last trip. Be aware the trigger for a camera is only 3kph above the posted limit.

Was it sent in the post or did they stop you?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 08:36:02 AM »
Since the EU directive they come in the post,get done on the side of the road it’s a pay on the spot.

At some time i’ve No doubt you’ll see a biker on ‘Can’t pay we’ll take it away’ when some Euro government sends the bailiffs because they haven’t or won’t cough up.

The only exception to the above is getting nicked above certain parameters on the side of the road when you then have to go to court how that works since the directive is anyone’s guess.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 11:40:47 AM »
Do not know if the lack of fuel was down to the Blockage at the Refinery`s. It was in all the news feeds when I was returning through France This week. No problem for us at that point.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 11:56:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Since the EU directive they come in the post,get done on the side of the road it’s a pay on the spot.

At some time i’ve No doubt you’ll see a biker on ‘Can’t pay we’ll take it away’ when some Euro government sends the bailiffs because they haven’t or won’t cough up.

The only exception to the above is getting nicked above certain parameters on the side of the road when you then have to go to court how that works since the directive is anyone’s guess.

I guess that will go come the time when we leave.

dysfunctional