Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sunday Morning, a story...  (Read 444 times)

Offline RedbirdXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR/GSXR1000
  • Town: san ramon,CA USA
Sunday Morning, a story...
« on: June 15, 2018, 01:08:12 AM »
Sunday Morning Ride, Marin, California
Not that it every really happens, but if it did, it would be epic, even better on an XR!
I know most of you are over the pond, but if you ever happen to get to San Francisco I have a great ride for you that does not officially exist.  If you are riding an XR, I would guess this would appeal to you. 
I stopped in the area a few weeks ago, I had heard rumors.  It supposedly runs from Marin, California (just north of the Golden Gate Bridge, outside of San Francisco) north along coastal Hwy 1.  Per the book referenced below (I have no interest in the book or publisher) this ride (race) has been going on every weekend for over 50 years, rain or shine. 
I have been riding for a long time, love canyons, have race experience and can definitely hold my own.  I was not quite ready to be blown out of the water.  Several riders have done the Isle of Man and many of the 15 riders had 30 or so years of racing experience.  I met the absolutely most talented group of riders I have ever met on the street;  I would count myself near the bottom of the list that day.  The funny thing is, at 52 years old,  I  believe was the second youngest on the trip, with most guys between 60 and 70 years old.  Of course, they have the history of 30 and 40 years of doing this ride, so knew every line down.  Great group of really friendly guys. 
Don’t get me wrong, .   When asked if I hit either of the 140 mph wheelie bumps on this two-lane, curvy coastal road, I proudly told them I was not even close!    I can’t really recall seeing any speed limit signs, but if they were there,  they must have been a suggestion!  That said, I have no desire to keep up with  the head of the pack and have nothing to prove, I have enough gray hair to show I have done enough… I took a trip out during the week to get to know the lines better, we shall see.
The funny thing was that a bunch of them had the KTM 1090 or 1190.  Many  were not familiar or had just heard of the XR.  I did get a huge amount of interest in the XR, and several groaned when they saw it and said, “That’s what I should have bought!”  The KTM’s are nice bikes, but don’t have near the sex appeal or the cutting edge street riding of the XR.
I just love my XR!  It is so quick in the turns, has that great power and awesome breaks that I can’t wait to think about this ride again.  It just gives a huge amount of confidence in a ride like this one when you can be confident in what you are riding. 
Yes, you can rent an XR at Eaglerider in San Francisco!  You can look up the SRM Marin or Sunday Morning Ride, Marin, California for more information.
If you want a fun book about riding, about this mythical ride, Tales from Over the Edge by B.T. Bullet.

Offline BMW_XR_D

• XR Member
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnoi8QWTyP1pAhgZo
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: brentwood
Re: Sunday Morning, a story...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:39:04 AM »
Good write up  :152:

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Re: Sunday Morning, a story...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 12:59:12 AM »
Always nice to hear that the XR turns heads - even in a veteran crowd.

Also, further proof that it's not the ride... but the rider.  :152:
-Erik

dysfunctional