Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gas cap removal help  (Read 801 times)

Offline jraugie1

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Delran, NJ USA
Gas cap removal help
« on: June 15, 2018, 03:46:17 PM »
I purchased a used aftermarket SSR keyless gas cap because the stock one doesn't get out of the way enough and makes getting the vapor recovery hose pulled back far enough difficult. I removed the six torx bolts attaching the stock unit but it seems to be attached to the inner black plastic filler neck. It lifts up maybe half an inch bringing the inner part along for the ride. I don't want to damage anything I need to reuse. Is this glued on or is there a fastener I am not noticing somewhere? I can't find any info online so far. Has anybody removed their gas cap?

Offline Bree

• XR God
Re: Gas cap removal help
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
I have seen a thread on this, maybe a couple of monthes back......
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 08:29:19 AM »
Try December 5th by marcparnes

It’s fashionable to do a separate welcome to the board post but i’ll Include that as well  :001:

Offline Gbjbany

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 s1000xr
  • Town: Sacramento, ca
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »

Offline Salem

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 04:56:04 PM »
Did the filler tube mod two months ago. As stated, remove the black plastic, then pull off the left hose (clutch lever side) and it comes out easily just hanging on the right hose. For some reason the left one goes off and on easily, the right one doesn't.

I had  a fuel leak a few days later doing a track day. Was wondering which bike was leaking until I noticed fuel on the front top of my tank, coming out under braking. Turned out the seal had expanded after removal and didn't sit correctly. I put it in boiling water to get the fuel out, but that didn't work for re-sizing it. Putting it in the freezer did. The seal should pop into the groove under the lid.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 05:15:21 PM »
I’ve drilled the filler neck on both my K1200 and R1100s to aid the filling process when re fitting with the seal sprayed it up with WD it quickly seats in the recess as it’s the easy option rather than be trapped under filler cap.

Offline Salem

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 05:34:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I’ve drilled the filler neck on both my K1200 and R1100s to aid the filling process when re fitting with the seal sprayed it up with WD it quickly seats in the recess as it’s the easy option rather than be trapped under filler cap.
I'll try the WD40 next time :062:

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 01:02:05 AM »
I removed the filler tube, and admit that it took me some time to get past the initial outer screws.  Once removing the two tubes on the left and right, though it more or less comes right apart.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline jraugie1

• XR Junior
  • Town: Delran, NJ USA
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:33:04 PM »
Got it figured out. The entire top filler comes out as a unit. The silver ring is attached permanently. Take off the two vent tubes and it comes out pretty easily. Thanks to Marc Parnes for the info! And thanks Winger for the "hello".
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:39:11 PM by jraugie1 »

dysfunctional