Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I've Been Tangoed  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
I've Been Tangoed
« on: June 30, 2018, 08:47:25 AM »
Very good friend has loaned me this and I know Hobo of this site has also ridden it  :002: rather than go into a long ramble if you are ever looking for the alternative give one a try particularly if you like your meat medium rare  :156:

Online Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Re: I've Been Tangoed
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:37:03 PM »
It's odd coming from someone who subjectively likes the looks of the XR, but...

I simply can not find any lines on that motorcycle to like.  I'm sure it performs, but it's just not pretty to me.    Looks like farm machinery; meant to put rows in dirt :027:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:40:18 PM »
I agree, there’s nothing visually that I find attractive on that bike... or any other apart from the XR (in this type of bike of course)
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 12:52:11 AM »
TBH, the XR is no runway model either.....but I guess the main "redeeming" feature of the KTM is the stonking engine that resides between the frame rails....I rode the Superduke when I was looking around before bying the XR and was totally blown away by the huge performance of that twin cylinder monster....it was only the horror stories of failed engines and poor customer service etc I had read on various KTM forums that put me off getting one.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline RedbirdXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR/GSXR1000
  • Town: san ramon,CA USA
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 01:16:18 AM »
I'd be worried about the KTM warranty. This was pulled off their warranty downloaded today from their website. Check out the first two sentences!!

lll. PARTS COVERED BY THE WARRANTY
This warranty covers only the engine, frame and swingarm. No other components of the motorcycle are covered by any
warranty, expressed or implied and are sold “as is
” The frame is defined under this warranty as the main frame only of the
motorcycle. The engine is defined under this warranty as parts, which are housed within the engine crankcase, including
shafts, gears, and shifting mechanism. In addition to the engine crankcase, the warranty covers the crankshaft and ignition
system. KTM North America, Inc. will repair or replace, at its option, any of these parts that are found to be defective in
material or workmanship subject to the limitations of this warranty.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 01:24:06 AM »
That's quite an "eye opener" isn't it..?? I hadn't read that before. Must admit, the BMW customer service and warranty is very good compared to many others...

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 03:37:11 AM »
Body styling and post-sale support aside - what a monster of an engine.
I test rode a SD before I offloaded the Multistrada and Ducati could learn a lot from team orange about how to build a v-twin
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 06:23:47 AM »
It was my first choice for a sports-tourer, but not at the (then). £17k.

Would still like one, but am happy with the XR

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 12:30:42 PM »
Oh blimey yea i’d Go along with all of the above but pointing the finger at the GT for looks when the X/R is no looker really is throwing stones in glass houses  :002:

If it wasn’t for the fact that KTM have discounted them I wouldn’t even have bothered looking at one but a straight forward decision on buying one it ain’t compared to an X/R purchase.

There’s one thing for sure your never going to wear top gear out!!! Anything less than 75 it starts chugging but blimey what a motor and that’s comparing mine not a stock X/R.

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »
Always been a big fan of the Orange Off road Machines. Although never really fancied the pure road bikes, but that could be down to reviews from others. Thats not really fair I know, but stonking power plants do go hand in hand with KTM..... Its maybe a shame that their dealerships appear to be under rated.... :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

dysfunctional