Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Judder at low speed  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Paggers

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 s1000XR
  • Town: Northwich
Judder at low speed
« on: July 04, 2018, 10:01:15 PM »
Hey All,

Just bought a 2017 XR, I find at low revs it judders almost like a pulse, I took it back to BMW and they have said that there is nothing wrong with the bike, gave me an excuse about a software update, I rode out, it was fine for a day then began juddering again.

Ive only ever had sports bikes, is this something that happens with more upright bikes?, has anyone else ever had this issue?

Cheers for any advice.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Judder at low speed
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
What gear? What speed What map.

Offline Paggers

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 10:14:10 PM »
Mainly 3rd gear, have tried in road and dynamic usually around 30mph, have dropped to 2nd and 1st, still getting used to gearing, just come off a zx10r, that rode in 2nd gear pretty much all the time, but 2nd feels twitchy on the xr, feels like it wants to be in a higher gear, judder is at 3000rpm.

Cheers

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 10:40:44 PM »
Mine is a brand new 2018 and feels a tiny bit the same.... the part that feels like it wants the be a gear up, almost like it has too much power ahahah
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 12:37:41 AM »
I get judders (flat spots) from 2 to 4k rpm when on a light throttle which is usually round town / in traffic. I'm guessing its down to being too lean to meet emissions at certain revs. Feels ok on half to full throttle though. Still feels slow compared to my blade and doesn't have the top end rush that I'm used to.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 01:24:27 AM »
Had a tiny bit of this on my '17 when it was new, did get slightly better with more miles on, maybe our fueling maps are different here in downunder land..??..However, I've since fitted a set of Arrow headers and a "Rapid Bike EVO" moduel....and she's now as smooth as a baby's bum and pulls like a 14yo with a playboy magazine..😉😉

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 07:54:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]
I get judders (flat spots) from 2 to 4k rpm when on a light throttle which is usually round town / in traffic. I'm guessing its down to being too lean to meet emissions at certain revs. Feels ok on half to full throttle though. Still feels slow compared to my blade and doesn't have the top end rush that I'm used to.

What you and the OP describe is the norm,it will get better in time when you learn to deal with it in traffic I ended up in rain,one up i’d Take no notice two up drove me nuts so like Smithy I did something about it with an exhaust and map while on a day out on Monday in Wales actually got it down to 23mph in top two up and pulled as clean as a whistle,but not what you want to hear when you’ve already spent on buying the bike.

Re your Blade? There will be a difference because it’s got another 10+HP on the X/R over 120mph my K Sport BM still has the legs on my X/R and this KTM GT I have on loan does as well but how often do you use it in the real world.

Offline Paggers

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 08:14:38 AM »
Thanks,

This in someways makes me feel better, but in other ways it’s annoying and would like to get rid, what can did you buy and where did you get it mapped, my zx10 always needed mapping after I changed the can, but it only affected tick over, never an issue when riding, but then I was always thrashing it.

If you thrash the XR its epic, doesn’t give the thrill of the zx but when I look at the speedo you’re going faster than you think, had an Audi RS5 try to race me uphill, lets just say he had to pull over and let me past.

I am about to tour Scotland for six days two up with luggage and I’m a bit apprehensive about the judder through towns and villages, I am fighting with the gears to try and make it smooth.

It’s got 3000 miles on it so should be run in.

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »
At the risk of pointing the obvious out i’d Be interested to see you two up with a pile of gear on a ZX10  :002:

What I used to go into villages i’d run it in a higher gear and just let it bimble along until I wanted to pick it up on the throttle and then drop a gear but it was just as easy to drop it into rain.

The bad news the solution isn’t cheap 18 months ago there was a steady supply of secondhand Akra header both on here and eBay but things seem to have dried up but you will need either Akra or Arrow headers a can of choice and a PC5,Dynojet will supply a generic map to get you going and then it’ll need to go on a dyno all a general ball ache both financially and hassle wise but the good news you’ll be gobsmacked at the diffference,not only the bottom end fuelling but the midrange that comes with it.

Do a search you will find a dyno print out of mine on here.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 08:38:00 AM by Winger »

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 04:08:19 AM »
The people with Blades, Zx10's and R1's etc.....of course they go harder, they have more power, and are up to 40kg lighter....you do the math.....I bet they can't travel two-up with luggage half as well as the XR though.. :001:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional