Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ideal running heat  (Read 2476 times)

Offline gringogordo

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Bath
Ideal running heat
« on: July 11, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »
Hi,

Probably a bit basic but what is a good running heat and when might you get worried ?  My last bike was a Speed Triple and it overheated in busy traffic in the heat a month or so ago so I'm a little wary now (it was much older than my 2017  1000Xr mind you...) . I'm generally running in hi 90's in good flow and up to about 104/105 in bad traffic on a hot day.  Just wondered when I should start getting concerned as I'm more used to a  sliding scale with no actual numbers !

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Ideal running heat
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 07:42:17 PM »
I really would not be concerned. The figures you quoted appear correct, In traffic on a hot day my fan comes in, as it should. 
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 07:54:31 PM »
As long as the fan kicks in and temps hold or fall I wouldn't be bothered unless it gets to 115 / 120. 75 to 90 seems to be the normal operating temp of my bike but in slow moving traffic or at a standstill it will get to about 105.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »
I should actually post this comment in the "What do you want to see in the next S1000XR" thread:

I don't want the constantly moving temperature readout.  Its usefulness is lost on a dummy commuter like myself.  It actually tends to lead to a sort of rider's anxiety as I wait at a red light on a hot day, and I watch the degrees start a progressive upwards climb.  I'd be fine with a red light that turns on when the engine is too hot.

On a typical Summer Day commute, my temperature readout fluxes between 170F/76C up to 220F/104C.  And frankly, it fluctuates so much, I try not to pay it any attention at all.  But... there it is... ticking up and down... sending my brain into panic.  :033:

The temperature readout gets omitted when the "SERVICE!" warning is present, which is incentive not to reset that cautionary note.  :047:

-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 01:19:03 AM »
A lot will depend on the ambient temps/climate of where you are.... but as others have mentioned as long as the fan kicks in when it should and temps aren't silly...you should be fine.....mine runs ~80c when running around and at a set of lights or very slow moving traffic, it comes up to ~101-102 and the fan kicks in....drops down to 98 or so ....rinse and repeat.

Smithy. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 04:06:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by Low-Brau [+]
I should actually post this comment in the "What do you want to see in the next S1000XR" thread

I couldn't agree more. None of us need to know the actual engine temp - what's important is:

A) BLUE LIGHT - the engine is cold and has not reached normal operating temperature - dont thrash the bike

B) GREEN LIGHT - the engine is within a range for normal operation - give it hell

C) RED LIGHT - the engine temp is higher than an acceptable level - let the engine cool down and seek professional advice

Plenty of car manufacturers use this approach and it works fine
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 11:07:44 AM »
I’ve run a Triumph Triple for the last 17 years it has never overheated(it’s been ridden in the mid 40c) so if the OP’s did that’s either lack of maintenance or a clogged rad and the X/R will go exactly the same way if treated the same.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 11:58:59 AM »
I normally cut my engine at traffic lights when its really hot. May not actually cool the engine but certainly makes things cooler for me. I have ridden with temperature at 35C (not in the UK !) and bike temperature goes up to 104C and fan starts. Not had any problems.

:305:
PSH

Offline gringogordo

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Bath
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »
Cheers guys.  Just wondered if I should be looking out for any specific numbers really, apparently not! 

Winger - no intention of disparaging the Speed Triple, mia culpa for not keeping an eye on the temperature - absolute carnage on the M6 on a hot day on the way to the TT and it didn't occur to me to keep an eye on the temp as it's not been an issue before (+ with some newbies so not filtering as much as I would normally).  Properly maintained & I think it was an ecu issue as it started fine on a bump start just dead on the button.  Anyway lovely bike but traded it in for the s1000XR now so not my battle!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 03:53:30 PM »
Getting weight off a bike is complex as in ‘Sprung’ weight V ‘Unsprung weight which is a ratio of 4/1 and having fitted Dymags within months of buying my X/R and getting rid of the godawful collector box that only the local scrap man would be proud of I get the concept of shedding what ever weight you can,but I view the center stand as way too useful in fact the loan KTM GT that I still have has already cost me the price of a paddock stand because without one even lubing the chain is a ball ache.