Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Have they changed the suspension on a 2018 model with ESA  (Read 2881 times)

Offline whitesaab1962

• XR Junior
  • whitesaab1962
  • Bike: S1000XR 2018
  • Town: Reading
I just picked up a 2018 model S1000XR which replaces my 2015 model one, the bike is excellent much smoother with no vibration but the suspension in dynamic feels vague just wondered if anyone else has found this.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
Re: Have they changed the suspension on a 2018 model with ESA
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
I was hoping this was going to be a post about how the suspension was now more adjustable / had more 'real world' usability
It's a cracking bike but the suspension is just too hard for the roads I ride 95% of the time. Unfortunately only a very small part of my milage is on smooth continental roads  :015:

So the dilemma currently is  (a) another XR but without ESA & spend some money on decent suspension or (b) back to a GS....
Answers on the back of a postcard please

Offline whitesaab1962

• XR Junior
  • whitesaab1962
  • Bike: S1000XR 2018
  • Town: Reading
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
Hi The 2018 model suspension is so much more softer or the ride is softer than the old one, I never rode the old one in dynamic because it was to hard but nothing like that on the new one, the whole thing is much smoother. 

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 03:46:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jockser [+]
I was hoping this was going to be a post about how the suspension was now more adjustable / had more 'real world' usability
It's a cracking bike but the suspension is just too hard for the roads I ride 95% of the time. Unfortunately only a very small part of my milage is on smooth continental roads  :015:

So the dilemma currently is  (a) another XR but without ESA & spend some money on decent suspension or (b) back to a GS....

Hi I am a bit confused as to what  Real World Usability is. Prior to the XR all my bikes were Manual adjustment, no problem with that at all. But with the XR and its choice of settings, I am a loss to find any fault with the choices, and the resulting ride. Even on 2nd rate road surfaces. And here in the UK thats a hell of a lot of our roads.
Perhaps I am easily pleased, but compared to my previous bikes this set up is magic. Press a button make a choice and hey presto.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 04:10:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jockser [+]

Go buy a non ESA and do what you think works for you are opposed to some bloke tuck away in a room in Germany who thinks he does,do a search on here your not the first to walk away from an X/R with ESA.

I’ve ridden ESA1 ESA2 Electric Ohlins and Sky Hook their all crap with a capital C the only one that even comes close is the electric sus on the KTM GT as I had pointed out to me because KTM owns both companies and they’ve taken the trouble to make it work.

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 01:19:04 PM »
Whereas I think the suspension on my XR Sport SE(15) is bloody perfect. Wouldn't change a thing. How it manages to be so compliant yet firm all at the same time is amazing and totally confidence inspiring.

Ride in Road most of the time. When really pressing on though there's a little bit too much squat going on at the back end. Instantly resolved by switching to Dynamic for the blast then back to road when things slow down.

I've had ohlins equipped bikes in the past so no stranger to quality suspension. 90Kg's suited and booted running Diablo Rosso III's

Appreciate it's all subjective but maybe those that are unhappy should also look at tyres/pressures. Or eat more/less pies.

Offline Kevin1953

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Haverfordwest
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 05:21:45 PM »
This is my 1st and I have the S1000 XR SE sport 2018. Previous 3 bikes were all 1200RT's so can't really compare. I've tried road and dynamic and stick to road. Most of the roads I ride are B roads and I do find it can jump about a bit which is a bit disconcerting coming into a bumpy bend. I'm learning to live with it as I just love the bike. Maybe I just need lessons in setting it up!

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 06:24:54 AM »
My 16 is great.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 08:36:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
Whereas I think the suspension on my XR Sport SE(15) is bloody perfect. Wouldn't change a thing. How it manages to be so compliant yet firm all at the same time is amazing and totally confidence inspiring.

Ride in Road most of the time. When really pressing on though there's a little bit too much squat going on at the back end. Instantly resolved by switching to Dynamic for the blast then back to road when things slow down.

I've had ohlins equipped bikes in the past so no stranger to quality suspension. 90Kg's suited and booted running Diablo Rosso III's

Appreciate it's all subjective but maybe those that are unhappy should also look at tyres/pressures. Or eat more/less pies.

That’s a great post what the hell are you a politician  :002: plenty of caveats!! The best was Ohlins equiped bikes as opposed to bikes you have fitted Ohlins too there’s a billion light years between the two because theirs production tat and aftermarket.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
That’s a great post what the hell are you a politician  :002: plenty of caveats!! The best was Ohlins equiped bikes as opposed to bikes you have fitted Ohlins too there’s a billion light years between the two because theirs production tat and aftermarket.

Again just subjective, In a previous life when I followed the mantra and listened to so called expert advice. I spent far to many Pounds thinking I was getting the best. Soon learnt that its a crock of sh#t. Did I really need it Nah. Unless you are trying to shave a few seconds off of your laps times.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.