Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Touring on an XR  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Belco100

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR SE Sport
  • Town: Essex
Touring on an XR
« on: July 16, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »
This is going to sound a bit stupid as it's an XR Forum, but I have a bit of a dilemma?

I bought the XR to be my one up fun bike and have a K16GT Sport for full blown two up touring. Well, I am off to Austria in two weeks time, blasting down a thousand mile in two days, 5 days in a Motorrad Hotel and then a thousand miles back again in two days. K16 all serviced up and new tyres and a known quantity for doing this - done it several times before and it is a very capable bike. But now the wife can't make it, I am starting to think about taking the XR.

What is the XR like for blasting down Autobahns and covering that much distance? I have a topbox, panniers, tankbag and an V-Stream screen, so it is all kitted up and could be a fun option? But I know that the K16GT has good comfort, better aerodynamics for touring and distance and a much better fuel range. I am worried that the 1000 miles will cripple me and ruin the fun in the mountain passes?

Offline feeb

• XR Member
  • Town: Leslie, Fife
Re: Touring on an XR
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 09:32:07 AM »
Only one way to find out.................................................................

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »
I can't comment on your trip down & back cos 1000 miles on motorway, twice, just makes no sense to me. Each to their own...
But I can tell you from personal experience that the XR is definitely the bike to have in the twisties  :046:

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
XR would be fine but the K16 would be better for that sort of trip. You wouldn't need to keep lubing the chain either  :305:
PSH

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 12:44:41 PM »
Hey Belco100,

for what it's worth, my partner and I did Ashford in Kent to just the other side of St Etienne France (560ish miles) last year in one hit, most of which was on the French Payarge, the XR was very good the cruse control is very handy the tank range two up with pan's topbox and tank bag was about 180 miles at 130 ~ 140KPH ish.

We would not normally do that sort of run on the bike, as 1: it's boring 2: it's very boring  3: however as we wanted to get down there quick it was the best option.

For me I'm not a big sitting on the motorway rider but the XR will sit at 80 ~ 90MPH without killing it's self or you off.
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 12:52:05 PM »
XR  Great power plant, Comfy, I would have no problem in using the XR. But I have never Ridden the K16 so cannot comment on that. Maybe I am being biased, as I love my XR and it has always done exactly what I have ever wanted from a bike. (  Must admit I only ever ride one up ).. :001: :305: :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 12:52:53 PM »
500 miles a day, what do you have planned after lunch each day?  500 is nothing on the XR.Now if I had those two bikes and was planning on making 1000 miles in one day I would take the GT
2016 Red Sled

Offline billywizzz

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: dorset
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
did an iron butt on my xr 1000miles in 19.5 hours in appalling weather so you will have no problem with the mileage and when you are down there you will have a great bike to enjoy the local roads too.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 10:04:13 PM »
The XR will tour just fine, but after about 300 miles, you'll wish you had taken the GT... that's what it was built for.

I'm a one-motorcycle rider, and I went from a Honda Pan to the XR because I don't tour as much as I used to.  But, the XR can tour just fine if needed.  I've done a few 400 milers with no sweat - it performed admirably.  But, I never slabbed it.

If I HAD a GT, I would take that on the highway.  The XR was made for twisty backroads, not 8-lane slabs of concrete.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline Kevin1953

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Haverfordwest
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 07:26:17 AM »
My last 3 bikes were 1200 RT's and I've just swapped the xr for a lighter tourer. Done a couple of 300 mile days on mixed roads so far and really love it. Still you have to choose yourself.