Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fork tube clearance above triple clamp  (Read 1096 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SM(X)R

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Country: us
  • Pin it to win it!
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: NorCal, USA
Fork tube clearance above triple clamp
« on: July 19, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »
Hey gents, new XR owner here.

I bought a nice used one a few weeks ago and am in the process of adjusting and adorning as necessary.  This particular bike was lowered by the previous owner... supposedly rear only (with an adjustable link) but the ~17mm of fork tube showing above the triple clamp has me wondering otherwise.

Does anyone know how much fork tube clearance is standard/normal on factory stock bikes?  Is it not supposed to be flush with the triple clamp?  Or at least flush to the first line marker? 

I'd love to hear how much clearance you all have at the moment.     

Offline Bree

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1559
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Fork tube clearance above triple clamp
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 06:06:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by ExAr [+]
Hey gents, new XR owner here.

I bought a nice used one a few weeks ago and am in the process of adjusting and adorning as necessary.  This particular bike was lowered by the previous owner... supposedly rear only (with an adjustable link) but the ~17mm of fork tube showing above the triple clamp has me wondering otherwise.

Does anyone know how much fork tube clearance is standard/normal on factory stock bikes?  Is it not supposed to be flush with the triple clamp?  Or at least flush to the first line marker? 

I'd love to hear how much clearance you all have at the moment.     




Hi ExAr,  Mine is stock and the top of the T C is level with the first line, on the Fork Tube......   
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline SM(X)R

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Country: us
  • Pin it to win it!
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: NorCal, USA
Re: Fork tube clearance above triple clamp
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 06:32:49 PM »
Thanks for your response!  Are you saying it's flush? 

These pics are not from an XR - but to be clear, is yours like this:



Or more like this:



FWIW, mine currently shows a good 8mm more fork tube than that 2nd image...


Offline SimonUK

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 258
  • Country: us
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: Fork tube clearance above triple clamp
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 07:42:56 PM »
My forks are definitely not flush, but only have a sliver showing above the triple tree. Just a thought though, if the rear was lowered would also not want lower the front (which is in effect what you have) to equal out the lowering, etc??

Offline Bree

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1559
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Fork tube clearance above triple clamp
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 08:49:22 PM »
Hi ExAr. No they are not flush with the top. If you look on the fork tube there is a line running around the fork tube. Its about 5m  from the top like your second picture.....That line is flush with the top of the TC....
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline SM(X)R

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Country: us
  • Pin it to win it!
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: NorCal, USA
Re: Fork tube clearance above triple clamp
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
My forks are definitely not flush, but only have a sliver showing above the triple tree. Just a thought though, if the rear was lowered would also not want lower the front (which is in effect what you have) to equal out the lowering, etc??

Yes, that would be ideal... but I was told the previous owner lowered the rear only, to achieve better handling.  At the time, it made sense (plus I trusted the dealership)... but in retrospect, I realized it was BS.  If he wanted to improve handling, he would have kept the rear higher than the front, not lower.   The dealership I bought the bike from are a bunch of lying crooked ********.   But that's besides the point...

Anyway, I am en route to getting the bike back to factory height.  Thanks for your input!

Offline SM(X)R

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Country: us
  • Pin it to win it!
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: NorCal, USA
Re: Fork tube clearance above triple clamp
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:29:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Hi ExAr. No they are not flush with the top. If you look on the fork tube there is a line running around the fork tube. Its about 5m  from the top like your second picture.....That line is flush with the top of the TC....

Perfect, thanks.  I thought that's what you meant but wanted to be sure  :152:

Bree, while I have your attention... assuming you are using the stock front foot pegs, would you mind measuring your ground-to-peg height please?   With the bike straight up, not on its side or center stand.   

Offline Hobo

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 54
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwick
Re: Fork tube clearance above triple clamp
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 09:40:20 PM »
It sounds like you are trying to check whether the stance of the bike (fork angle etc) is still as stock.

I lowered mine at both ends (slipped the forks in clamps and Soupys at the back) and the way I know it is the same stance is that a spirit level from the filler cap to the BMW badge on the rack (SE model) requires a 72mm block on the badge to be level.

Hope this helps.

Offline Karlb

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 120
  • Country: us
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
Re: Fork tube clearance above triple clamp
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 11:52:13 PM »
Mine as delivered stock is 7.6mm as measured with my digital caliper
2016 Red Sled

Offline PaulS1000XR

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 533
  • Country: england
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: Fork tube clearance above triple clamp
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Karlb [+]
Mine as delivered stock is 7.6mm as measured with my digital caliper

Mine is the same  :305:
PSH