Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Seat height opinion  (Read 1773 times)

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Town: Sarajevo
Seat height opinion
« on: July 20, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
First, YES, I searched the forum for similar topics, but it didn't help since everyone is different  :002:
So, as part of my considerations of getting an XR, I did a short "sit on S1000XR" test to see how the standard suspension/seat model works with my height/inseam (178cm, 31" inseam). Unfortunately, my local dealer is not offering test rides, so I can't test how it's like to maneuver in real world... I can reach the ground with both feet somewhere between their balls and tip toes (see the picture), or slightly lean the bike (don't have to hang from the seat ) and get one feet down fully flat. This was done with the ignition off. I believe it would settle down further  with the ignition on and ESA active, but not sure...
Took some photos so you can see more clearly how it looks like and I would appreciate if you could give me your opinions and advice. Is this too tall or should I go for low seat (dealer has only stock model with stock seat so I don't know how much a low seat helps)
What I would really like to avoid is a low suspension model, since I don't want to sacrifice suspension travel. Low seat is possible, but stock would be better since it has more padding
I'm also planing to use the XR for 2-up touring so that too should be included in the math...

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:36:38 PM by esso_sa »

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
Re: Seat height opinion
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
This is how it looks like when leaned. (sorry for separate post - forum is not allowing attachments over 1mb)

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 06:32:01 PM »
I have the same inside leg measurement...chose the lowered suspension model with the standard seat - perfect.  I'm not aware there is any real compromise in the suspension travel of the lowered versus the standard. 
S1000XR Sport SE

Offline Kevin1953

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Haverfordwest
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 06:38:34 PM »
As with Millview I chose the low suspension so not to compromise on seat padding. Test ride was on full height and haven't notice any ride compromise but great to get the feet well planted.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 07:48:26 PM »
I'm slightly shorter than you at about 173cm or 5'8" in old money. I got low seat with standard suspension. The seat is comfy enough for me and have done a few rides between 300 and 440 miles in a day without issue. I can touch roughly the same as you but buying a new pair of boots that are more adventure styled than race boot helped lots with getting my feet down.

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »
I’m also 1.73, I have the lowered version and a HP standard height seat, I commute within the city to I have to put my foot down a lot but I honestly don’t struggle, don’t get the low seat, don’t compromise comfort... I bought my bike new with he low seat at traded it to the HP within the first month.
The lowered version with standard seat is still lower than the single R but because the seat is much wider does not allow you to plant your feet down as much, but you won’t regret the choice
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Mally

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Nr Milton Keynes
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 07:15:29 AM »
I'm also 1.78 (or 5ft 10in in old money!) but have a lower seat on mine. I don't have an issue supporting the bike when stopped, pretty much like you are in the pic. I certainly don't think you would need to have lowered suspension and don't forget, when you have your boots on, you will probably have a thicker sole than your shoes, giving you that bit better grounding.
This bike fits someone of our height pretty well - just go for it!  :002:

Mally

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
First, thank you all for great response and comments ! I really appreciate it.
I felt fine on standard suspension with standard seat and I believe I could handle it fine, but what concerns me the most is the pillion getting on and off the bike. Also, since I'm planing to get it with D-ESA, I'm not sure how much more it will rise when set to 2 helmets and luggage... If I barely hold it at the balls of my feet at one helmet, I'm worried I could end up on tippy toes when set to 2 helmets, that would make it hard to hold in place when pillion gets on...

@Mally, when you purchased your bike, have you tried the standard seat ? Is there any significant difference between low and standard seat when it comes to planting your feet down.
From what I can understand from everyones comments, it seems that low suspension helps much more than the low seat
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:49:55 PM by esso_sa »

Offline Mally

• XR Member
  • Town: Nr Milton Keynes
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
First, thank you all for great response and comments ! I really appreciate it.
I felt fine on standard suspension with standard seat and I believe I could handle it fine, but what concerns me the most is the pillion getting on and off the bike. Also, since I'm planing to get it with D-ESA, I'm not sure how much more it will rise when set to 2 helmets and luggage... If I barely hold it at the balls of my feet at one helmet, I'm worried I could end up on tippy toes when set to 2 helmets, that would make it hard to hold in place when pillion gets on...

@Mally, when you purchased your bike, have you tried the standard seat ? Is there any significant difference between low and standard seat when it comes to planting your feet down.
From what I can understand from everyones comments, it seems that low suspension helps much more than the low seat

No, I didn't try the standard seat, sorry. However, I would suggest you go back to your dealer and say you wont be buying without a test ride to give you that opportunity to evaluate what seat height suits you best in whatever setting you use. If they are not prepared to allow that, just find another dealer. Why should you consider paying a 5 figure sum without even having a test ride?????
 If the seat was the only reason you didn't like the bike, I would suggest you look at buying a custom seat. They cost less than £400 and you can get them in standard or lowered version as well. Might even be a bit more comfy for your pillion too.

hope that helps

Mally

Offline bnalz

• XR Member
  • Town: Oregon
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 07:54:34 PM »
+1 can’t imagine not test riding, don’t be timid about test ride or bike set up. That
Is why the dealers are there. Otherwise you could just order one and have sent to your door. Enjoy , this is a good time.