Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain cleaning  (Read 17342 times)

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
Chain cleaning
« on: August 30, 2015, 03:01:41 PM »
I find it strangely therapeutic !

You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Chain cleaning
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 04:04:36 PM »
Good grief! Talk us through it. What products/ techniques? As you know, I'm used to shaft driven bikes, so I'm still learning! :001:

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 04:11:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by RichS1000XR [+]
Good grief! Talk us through it. What products/ techniques? As you know, I'm used to shaft driven bikes, so I'm still learning! :001:

Firstly a trip to B&Q is needed as they were the only place i could find selling paraffin and whilst i was there i bought a spray bottle for a quid and a half inch paintbrush

Spray parafin onto the chain direct or the brush and work it in to the links and see the sh#t come off

once happy that all the crap is nicely parafined and loose then an old rag in hand and round the chain and spin the wheel until satisfied that chain is sparkling clean then lube up

all in all 10 minutes and as i said therapeutic but i like cleaning shoes too

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 05:07:57 PM »
Cool. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow! :008:

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 05:14:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by RichS1000XR [+]
Cool. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow! :008:

Don't forget to put a towel down under the chain or do it on the neighbours drive !

Offline PlanktonPete

• XR Member
  • Town: Gloucestershire
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 05:37:01 PM »
 :435:
*Originally Posted by Redrick [+]
Firstly a trip to B&Q is needed as they were the only place i could find selling paraffin and whilst i was there i bought a spray bottle for a quid and a half inch paintbrush

Spray parafin onto the chain direct or the brush and work it in to the links and see the sh#t come off
once happy that all the crap is nicely parafined and loose then an old rag in hand and round the chain and spin the wheel until satisfied that chain is sparkling clean then lube up all in all 10 minutes and as i said therapeutic but i like cleaning shoes too

Doesn't paraffin kill the built in lube inside and between the chain links or damage the seals between them???
 :034: :005:

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 05:39:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by PlanktonPete [+]
Doesn't paraffin kill the built in lube inside and between the chain links or damage the seals between them???

Not in my experience

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 07:53:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by PlanktonPete [+]

Don't say that, I'm all set to get some tomorrow, and make light work of this chain cleaning malarkey! :008:

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 09:20:23 AM »
Yes it does but very slowly as to make no difference unless you are going to be on the same chain for 20 years.  The seals are pretty tough and normal wear and tear will kill it before the paraffin does.  That is what a bike mechanic told me.  he does all his major chain cleans by leaving chain in the stuff overnight and good scrub the next day.  He wouldn't get drawn into the chain oil debate apart from too say find one you are happy with and keep up the maintenance.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:42:53 AM »
The issue is really that in order to get the chain clean a solvent of some sort is needed !
Now you can buy "special" chain cleaners at considerable expense which i assume must contain some sort of solvent to get rid of the grease and crap that accumulates or you can use paraffin ( Kerosene) which is cheap as chips and is recommended for chain cleaning by many manufacturers.
It works for me !

A clean well maintained chain will outlast a neglected one by a considerable margin despite the very slight negative effect on the O rings and it will look nicer into the bargain.

Ask 10 people the best way to clean and you will probably get 10 different answers. The same goes for what lube to use !

I use PJ1 Blue label BTW

dysfunctional