Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Range anxiety? what range anxiety?  (Read 3116 times)

Online JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
Range anxiety? what range anxiety?
« on: July 23, 2018, 03:26:35 PM »
Out today in the fantastic sunny weather around the Sudbury area (Suffolk/Essex border); fuel light came on at the usual 45 miles.  Prat Nav said 15 miles along the route to the next fuel station.  No problem, except when I got there it was closed.  Next one on the route was 26 miles  :005: Tight, but nothing ventured except pushing an XR in 34°C.  A touch of range anxiety started to creep in to the ride as the miles and range counted down.
Still, I made it to the BP station in Newmarket with 4 miles on the range to spare:

It took 19.5 litres for 218 miles, ~51 (UK)mpg - The manual says usable capacity is 20 litres, so ½ litre left - what me? worried? Nah! (Well actually yes!)

The range counter on my XR is pretty damn accurate - a useful, if slightly nerve racking, lesson.

Offline Belco100

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR SE Sport
  • Town: Essex
Re: Range anxiety? what range anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 04:02:58 PM »
Had the same problem going up to Gt. Bentley on Wednesday last week. A nice steady run up and the range works out how far you can go on the current average. 45 miles home and 52 miles range - I thought I would chance it. Unfortunately the pace was a lot hotter on the way back and the range fell alarmingly until it got to 20 miles home and 18 miles range  :005:. Luckily I found a garage with 6  miles to go.

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 11:07:55 PM »
Great how the British pick and choose which parts of the metric system they want... I thought you guys were still measuring fuel in fluid ounces!  :001:
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 12:20:39 AM »
Half a litre is loads left :008:

Last year in France when doing a tour on my Fireblade I managed to get 190 miles out of a tank and fit 16.8 litres into a 17 litre tank. Visited 5 petrol stations before I found one that was open. Traveling in France on a Sunday and Monday is painful at best.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]
Great how the British pick and choose which parts of the metric system they want... I thought you guys were still measuring fuel in fluid ounces!  :001:
[/quote

Thats why we need to dump the EU. Metric forced on us by some Euro Bureaucrat in Brussels.  :002: :002: Give us back our Gallons and Fluid ounces. Pounds and ounces,  :015: :015:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 12:44:30 PM »
Bring back the Whitworth spanners!

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »
Imperial system sucks... as afterwards even in architecture, you NEED to drop the feet and inches for the meter as otherwise no one will build anything ahahah architecture has adopted worldwide the metric system
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Robgosty

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 02:10:52 PM »
I remember when LSD was pounds shillings and pence and not a mind bending drug  :112: :087:  libra for pound, solidus for shilling and denarius for penny, so hence LSD, happy days  :821: :821:

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 09:12:38 PM »
Ha! Whenever I'm training drivelines and mention LSD (limited slip differential) there are always a few giggles in the class. I just give them a knowing wink and move on  :016:

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 10:33:23 PM »
Having been raised on the metric system I have had to change to working in feet and inches for the last 7 years in Engineering as we are dong work for the Americans. Now I chop and change between the two.

dysfunctional