Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: handlebar tightening procedure  (Read 1092 times)

Offline VanishPoint

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
handlebar tightening procedure
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:15:54 PM »
Hi -  I had to readjust my handlebars and need to know the proper procedure for tightening the the 4 clamp bolts.  Do you tighten the top first leaving no gap between upper and lower clamp and then proceed to the bottom 2 bolts leaving some space in-between the clamps; OR do you tighten each bolt in a diagonal sequence with an equal amount of spacing between the upper and lower bar clamps?  I am told the torque specs are 14 ff lbs or 19nms?  Thank you!

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: handlebar tightening procedure
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 11:22:08 PM »

Offline VanishPoint

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:19:05 PM »
Only thing that is not clear is the proper tightening sequence.  Once finger tight, do you torque the tops first then the bottoms (#4 bolts first then #5s) or do you torque them down in a diagonal sequence?  Also, should you use (blue) thread lock on the bolts?  One was very loose after 1700 miles.  Thanks for your help!

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 03:06:16 PM »
My screenshot is directly from the BMW maintenance DVD. It has step by step instructions. I am not sure what else I can add here.

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 11:02:45 PM »
Start all four bolts but leave the #5 bolts very loose. Tighten both #4 bolts to 19nm first so that the clamp is contacting (the gap should be at the rear side of both clamps). Now tighten both #5 bolts to 19nm. Recheck the #4 bolts and you're good to go. You should not need any loctite
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 04:48:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]
Start all four bolts but leave the #5 bolts very loose. Tighten both #4 bolts to 19nm first so that the clamp is contacting (the gap should be at the rear side of both clamps). Now tighten both #5 bolts to 19nm. Recheck the #4 bolts and you're good to go. You should not need any loctite

What Pat has said is exactly how it should be done.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 12:37:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]

What Pat said is pretty much listed in the screenshot above(reading between the lines!)

Offline VanishPoint

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 12:42:50 AM »
Thank you all!  I followed the procedure and the #5 bolts became loose within 1 hour of bike just sitting, not started. This happened twice so I tried a small amount of blue lock-tite to assist the process.  Seems to be good now.  Thanks for the help!

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 01:12:29 AM »
I have followed that procedure multiple times on both the R and XR with no issues(and no thread-lock).

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 03:48:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by VanishPoint [+]
Thank you all!  I followed the procedure and the #5 bolts became loose within 1 hour of bike just sitting, not started. This happened twice so I tried a small amount of blue lock-tite to assist the process.  Seems to be good now.  Thanks for the help!

Do the clamps themselves have a front and rear...are they ar$e about..? Shouldn't need loctite.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:50:17 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!