Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Remap Results  (Read 6991 times)

Offline joe19

• XR Member
  • Town: Oxford
Remap Results
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »
Hey All,

Thought others might find the remap I did interesting. It was done at hilltop in the UK (http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/)

It ended up at 159 bhp at the rear wheel. It was quite low initially (as you can see). Not sure why, perhaps they did the first test in Dynamic Mode rather than Pro?? No idea.

FYI in case others are similar. The fuelling on Dynamic Pro mode is nice. Before I did find it a little harsh, but it wasn't a huge problem.

Offline SteveB67

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Tyne Valley
Re: Remap Results
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 04:17:51 PM »
Wow, thats very impressive.
Is that on a totally stock bike or do you have some mods, End can, K&N?
Cheers
Steve

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
Remap on standard ecu or power commander feeling unit etc? Prices also please mate?

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 04:54:30 PM »
It will run better and better as the miles rack up.
(If you use a BMW dealer for servicing make sure they don't reset the TPS , it will run like a bag of sh1t for 1000 miles until it sorts it's self out [Techie explanation]).

Offline joe19

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 05:45:31 PM »
It's a stock bike, nothing done to it. Purchased with about 1.8k on the clock.

Prices and details are here:
http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/

They have their own approach and software vs some other tuners I believe. All the details are on the site. I think a 15bhp gain is normal for XRs (but don't quote me). I don't think most run at 130bhp stock? Not sure why mine was low.

Offline Salem

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 06:08:57 PM »
I admit, I'm not a fan of Hilltop. They don't publish/answer much, all we get to see is these type of about unbelievable claims  So 20 bhp (!) increase thru a tune on a highly efficient non turbo charged engine? Maybe I'm reading the chart wrongly.

Even if true, my question is how they deal with the Lambda  value compensation the BMW system uses. It's the backbone of BMW motorbike fueling strategy as there's no MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor)in the intake. In other words, within two tanks of fuel the system will have adopted fuelling and you're back to normal

Offline joe19

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 06:21:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
I admit, I'm not a fan of Hilltop. They don't publish/answer much, all we get to see is these type of about unbelievable claims  So 20 bhp (!) increase thru a tune on a highly efficient non turbo charged engine? Maybe I'm reading the chart wrongly.

Even if true, my question is how they deal with the Lambda  value compensation the BMW system uses. It's the backbone of BMW motorbike fueling strategy as there's no MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor)in the intake. In other words, within two tanks of fuel the system will have adopted fuelling and you're back to normal

I probably can't add much that isn't on their site. To be honest he went into a lot of detail on the day, but I didn't understand half of it. For example he explained that his map doesn't work well with certain popular filters due to X, Y and Z. He was very happy to chat about it all, I didn't get the impression he was hiding anything.

A friend went there a few weeks before (totally different bike) and got a much more modest gain. He did say beforehand the XRs seem to respond well to his software.

Like I said - I'm not sure on the 130bhp figure. But the 160bhp number was consistent with the other XRs he has had through the shop.

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 06:26:03 PM »
Very interesting, guessing the bmw ecu is easy enough to rework at the source where a power commander trick the ecu, no?

Offline joe19

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 06:38:10 PM »
It's probably on their site but the gist is they don't touch the stock software. They have their own code which is uploaded onto the ECU (onto spare space, doesn't overwrite anything). So BMW can do firmware updates etc and it won't ruin the the map you've had put on. The software can also (according to them) adjust to cans/pipes you put on. No need to go back and get a remap if you swap end cans and all that.

How this all works was explained on the day. It takes about 30 mins to transfer his code onto the bike, so loads of time to pick his brains.

Offline Spooch

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: GRANTHAM
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by joe19 [+]
It's a stock bike, nothing done to it. Purchased with about 1.8k on the clock.

Prices and details are here:
http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/

They have their own approach and software vs some other tuners I believe. All the details are on the site. I think a 15bhp gain is normal for XRs (but don't quote me). I don't think most run at 130bhp stock? Not sure why mine was low.

I had mine Dyno'd a few weeks ago, completely stock bike with 5k on the clock and registered 148.9 at the rear wheel so 130 sounds quite low. Mine is nearly always in Dynamic and was when I  had it done.
If your not going to thrash it leave it in the garage !!