Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 vibrations  (Read 2269 times)

Offline TOM.

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Scunthorpe
2018 vibrations
« on: July 25, 2018, 08:09:18 PM »
Evening folks,
I know this topic has been done before, but I wanted to share my experience to see if anyone has had the same and sorted it.
The bike is a 2018 XR sport se bought in January and now has 4000 odd miles on it. The bike is always in dynamic pro and 90% of the time in road on the suspension settings. The bike vibrates how it compares to the outgoing model I don't know as I never rode one all I know is this does. For the say first 50 miles of a Rideout I'm constantly trying to get blood back into my finger tips and get rid of the pins and needles then after that I either get used to it or the bike smooths out maybe a bit of both. I have fitted heavy bar end weights tonight in attempt to sort this. On two occasions I have had the bolts come loose that hold the side stand on to the point where there hanging on by just a couple of turns, this has to be vibration related I have put loctite on them tonight. Also the rubber bung that  cussions the stand has gone awol. The plastic fairing(red in my case) around the headlights has become loose where it clips in but won't push back into place as though the tabs are broke this is on both sides.

Has anyone experienced the same things as my bike. Does it seem excessive even though they are regarded by some as vibey bike anyway. Am I likley going to get anywhere with BMW when I go see them on Saturday.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this.

Cheers
Tom
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:13:03 PM by TOM. »

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: 2018 vibrations
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 11:07:52 PM »
Really sorry to hear of you problems. Of course this has been an ongoing thread, throughout the Forum. And there has been many, many answers. Personally I am convinced that this is individual bike related.
I have no Vibrations over and above, what you would call normal. In fact I can ride all day without any discomfort. And many other riders have claimed the same. And then their are riders who suffer, from varying degrees of discomfort as well.
I would first suggest a trip to your Dealer, to get the parts that are wrong put right. I would also ask them for there input as to what the problem could be. Its a shame that your enjoyment of this fantastic bike, is being spoiled by these problems. But please persevere with the bike. As it really is an awesome ride, keep us informed of how you get on.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:36:26 PM »
Mine is a 2017 model and when it was new it did vibrate more than any other inline 4 cylinder bikes I've had.  (I've also fitted heavier bar-end weights). It improved as the running-in process progressed (I'm not one for pussying around when running in).  I did notice that the harder I rode it the smoother it became.  I'm coming up for 18,000 miles and the vibes are now below my perception threshold.

If yours doesn't improve, contact https://www.motoscot.co.uk/ - he has a (slightly radical) solution.

I come from a long line of inline 4 bikes and the vibration levels and frequency perception are quite a personal thing. I test rode the Multistrada and the 1290 GT and no way could I live with the low frequency vibrations that threaten to shake my fillings out. Indeed I could have ridden the Multistrada into the nearest skip after a hour such were the rumblings going up my spine.  But a friend has one and thinks it's so smoooooooth!

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:47:51 PM »
Uhhhhh
Tell us about the “radical solution”  :440: :005:
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 04:46:59 AM »
Ball bearings!
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 05:18:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]
Ball bearings!

Between the vertebra in your spine..??🤣

Mine (17 model) only had slight vibes when new, after run-in and fitting some Arrow headers and Evotech bar ends...they're all but gone.

One of my previous bikes was a Blackbird....it was turbine smooth from new to the day I sold it....but it did have a pair of balance shafts to help.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 05:20:28 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 11:50:13 AM »
Ask if you can take our another XR out when you take it to the dealer on Saturday so you can have a bike to bike comparison on the same route.  If the vibrations are excessive enough the vibrate the side stand free and dislocate / damage the plastics, I would say there's a problem somewhere.  I get some vibes through the bars and occasionally the seat, but it's not any worse than any of the other 1000cc IL4's I've owned.

Offline aviator

• XR Pro
  • COL. US Army
  • Town: Chattanooga, TN
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 12:06:49 PM »
I have an '18 with barely 1300 miles on the odo. No significant vibes to write home about. There ought to be something wrong. Dealer service visit in order.
Aviator
Current Bikes: 2018 BMW S1000XR, BMW 1200GSAw, Husqvarna FE501s, Suzuki DR650 SE

Offline Norbs

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »
Mines a 2017 and has always vibrated. The vibration at the grips isn't too bad because it has the BMW rubbers fitted from new and I've isolated the grips even more by fitting heavier bar ends and grip puppies. I don't have any problems with it because I'm not too susceptible to vibes and I very rarely cruise in the zone that the bike vibes at (5500-6500rpm). But this bike is very vibey, if you stick your cruise control on and have a feel round the bike at different parts you will see how vibey it is. And as the OP has said, this can vibrate things loose. I don't think you'll get anywhere with BMW personally. Not all IL4s vibrate like the XR, that is bollocks. My 2015 fireblade is smooth as silk. Still love the XR though, it's completely bonkers.

Offline TOM.

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Scunthorpe
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 04:17:50 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, these are the responses I was expecting to hear. My old man has a hp MY18 but has done quite a few mods to kill the vibes.
Will see what BMW have to say on Saturday. I can live with the bar vibes it's the plastics and parts working loose that annoys me. I really like the bike it's the perfect compromise for me as I'm a superbike rider that likes to tour I love it just need these issues sorting. For the first time since I've been biking I don't think there's a bike out there I'd swap for.