Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Daytime Running Light kits  (Read 5514 times)

Offline PlanktonPete

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Gloucestershire
Daytime Running Light kits
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:33:41 PM »
For those of use who took delivery of the first few XRs which were produced without the Daytime Running Lights which should have been standard.....  apparently the retro kits are now in dealers (although it is questionable if the software update to the menus is also ready) and mine will be retrofitted this week.
Rattle your dealer's doors.

:002: :002:

Offline Shado

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW R Nine T
  • Town: Jersey CI
Re: Daytime Running Light kits
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:25:01 PM »
Thank you for the heads up PlanktonPete will go check it out at my dealers tommorrow and besides he needs a reminder  :157: :062:
In Life there is no reverse, ride it like you stole it!

Offline PlanktonPete

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 05:00:19 PM »
And here is the newly kitted XR with daytime running light kit.

Unfortunately, the software fix that adds the DRL to the menu to turn it on doesn't work.  And nor does the replacement fix.
So it is a technical issue raised with the boys in Bavaria to sort out - hopefully before the French trip next week.

Looks nice though even when not lit!!

Offline PlanktonPete

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 05:04:59 PM »
Oh, and by the way, all the playing around with the software and resetting set ups etc., has killed the Quickshifter. 
Dealer says it is not a problem and they've had it on other bikes so when it goes in next week they'll just re-set the Quickshifter but it is amazing that a "nice-to-have" feature that you thought you didn't need, so quickly becomes a must have "can't-do-without"!

Offline Shado

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW R Nine T
  • Town: Jersey CI
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 08:59:45 AM »
DRL kit confirmed by the dealer whoop finally complete  :152:
In Life there is no reverse, ride it like you stole it!

Offline PlanktonPete

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
.... and the DRL is finally fitted and (after several software uploads) it now works.   :062:
The software fix did not work and after 3 different mappings BMW HQ told my (excellent) dealer to re-write the complete software on the bike ECU so that it became the bike it wanted to be!!!  Isn't it a sign of the times we live in that bikes are now completely owned by the software they are loaded with?
If it was a Windows PC I would be very worried!!!  :012:
The DR light work well and is on auto, so goes out to be replaced by dipped headlights when it gets a bit darker.   The DRL is very bright and hard to miss (which is nice) so I'm well happy.  The quickshifter software was also re-set so it is ready to rock and roll to the French Vosges tomorrow. :046:
After I fit another Diablo today that is - after 1100 miles I don't think it will do the necessary additional 2500 in France!!

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 12:34:18 PM »
Err Pete don't go into the workshop as they are all PC's.

But I though we all wanted to drive a computer centre. :008: Joke.

Still love my old STR my brother may have it but I still get to play occasionally.  Its good to have the traction control back in the wrist. :001:

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline mcoskun

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 07:09:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by PlanktonPete [+]
.... and the DRL is finally fitted and (after several software uploads) it now works.   :062:
The software fix did not work and after 3 different mappings BMW HQ told my (excellent) dealer to re-write the complete software on the bike ECU so that it became the bike it wanted to be!!!  Isn't it a sign of the times we live in that bikes are now completely owned by the software they are loaded with?
If it was a Windows PC I would be very worried!!!  :012:
The DR light work well and is on auto, so goes out to be replaced by dipped headlights when it gets a bit darker.   The DRL is very bright and hard to miss (which is nice) so I'm well happy.  The quickshifter software was also re-set so it is ready to rock and roll to the French Vosges tomorrow. :046:
After I fit another Diablo today that is - after 1100 miles I don't think it will do the necessary additional 2500 in France!!

I am glad to hear that You managed it.  I am also trying to have DRL installed on my bike but the dealer keeps saying it is not posibble.So I have some questions to make it clear.
First of all do I need to buy new left Multifunction switch box,I do not have DLR light swinch on my bike. Have you replaced yours with the new one?
Do you have Auto on/off choice in the multifunction display Menu?
Are both the DLR and low beam lights stay on at the same time?
 :305:

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 09:25:52 AM »
Mine came with the DRL and all I can add is that you have the DRL on or the main lights.  I have been through the software and the option is only for off and auto in the menu.

S.

P.S. I think you will need the new switch cluster as you can manually switch off the DRL with the button.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline Fazza

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000RR/XR
  • Town: Kent
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 12:53:22 PM »
So what's the score with the early XRs not fitted with the DRL? Is the retrofit kit FOC due to BMW screwing up?! Or do you have to pay for it??

dysfunctional